New maps on aussie cache pages? comments??

Guest embi

Guest Lyn and Gavin

I think they are dreadful, and I have written to the US to tell them so. The South Australian map is pitiful, with Innaminka being the only SA town on it. The others are Bendigo in Victoria, and Reid, a two dog railway siding on the transcontinental line that doesn't exist any more. The only town on the Victorian map is Mount Gambier - in South Australia! As for the big maps at the bottom, I told Geocaching.com they might as well turn the encryption off as well and take ALL the fun out of it. No, I am not pleased......

Guest SNIFTER

They are terrible. The caches land in the ocean or river. I know Peter and I have a good laugh when we look at the maps. I think that I put down about 3 caches in a row and all of them ended up wet. I can assure you that this dog doesn't swim in the rivers in the middle of winter.

The new maps with the pin head aren't bad but they are not real good either.Why show some obscure little coastal town when we have so many cities that would take priority.

As with all maps on the site, they are meant as a reference point and not a 'de facto' map. However, since folks feel so strongly in New Zealand and Australia, I have removed maps for both. If any of you have an idea where I can get some decent map software for the region, I'd appreciate the help.

Jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

If any of you have an idea where I can get some decent map software for the region, I'd appreciate the help.

I'll see what I can find.

embi

------------------

It's out there...let's go get it!

Guest SNIFTER

As for software for maps the best I can say is ...we(Hounddog and SNIFTER) have a Magellan 330 and we have just purchased the CD for the maps of NSW. They are magnificent.They cost but they show what side of the road to go and even what side of the river or creek. We are very happy with it.

Guest Lyn and Gavin

Thanks for removing the maps Jeremy, and more importantly, thanks for considering us Aussies and asking for our opinions. After such a battle to even get an answer to an email (despite Australian geocaching growing enormously), it is nice to see that we are now getting an opinion and might also finally be able to buy gear. We had begun to think we must live on Mars.

Guest SNIFTER

The yanks still think we all talk strine and that kangaroos hop down Pitt st. They probably hop down embis main road and they come into my back yard.At least with this hobby and the photos we all post it gives us all an insight to the wide world. We have a great country but a dreadful lack of great maps for the general public at reasonable prices.

I personally think the Maps were ok, they were only meant to give you an idea on location.

Most of us have good mapping software, but it helped I found to look at a new cache and yucky inaccurate map and say:

"Oh thats not far from here" And off you go to do it..maybe logging first find too.

The maps were shocking, Yes.

But I don't think jeremy is gonna find anything good to put up there.

Maps of Australia are hard to come by...

Any map was better than no map in my view..

Cheers.

quote:
I personally think the Maps were ok, they were only meant to give you an idea on location.

==snip==

Any map was better than no map in my view..

I'd agree. There might have been the odd occasions when there was no detail at all showing in the detaled map, however, and those were clearly useless. The ones on my caches had enough detail to be useful though.

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk