OpenStreetMap Default tiles are not loading (error 418) in Chrome

M.B.E.S.

Since yesterday, I can't use the "OpenStreetMap Default" map anymore when browsing caches via https://www.geocaching.com/map/ in Chrome. When selecting this option, I just get a blank map with all my caches on it. When choosing "OpenStreetMap German Style" it just works fine. The 'Black and White"-version doesn't work either.

I had a look in the browser's console and noticed a lot of 418-error messages on GETting the tiles for the map. I saw the same issue reported here: https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/83828/tile-layer-418-error

When opening the URL of such a tile in a seperate tab, it just loads fine.

Is anyone experiencing the same problem?

I believe Groundspeak shall have a look at this.

MapIssue.jpg

Edited by M.B.E.S.
  • Helpful 1

Error 418 means, too many requests to the service, and Groundspeak has been cut off.  OSM is free-as-in-speech, but not free-as-in-beer.

I could see this coming.  The OSM Default layer has always been primarily an aid to mapping, and to be honest, kinda ugly.  That last part has improved, so now it actually looks quite good.  But...  That means it's getting popular.  The problem: OSM isn't set up to provide unlimited tiles, nor even to sell them.

No easy solution, short of using a paid layer from another provider - such as some of the other examples already in the list.

PS to Groundspeak:  that map style you had on cache pages for a grand total of two days a few years back (a free trial?), from MapBox I believe, was awesome.  If you're opening the wallet, could we see that one again?  Thanks and yeah, I know, dream on.  :)

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Helpful 1
On 3/14/2022 at 11:23 PM, Viajero Perdido said:

Error 418 means, too many requests to the service, and Groundspeak has been cut off.  OSM is free-as-in-speech, but not free-as-in-beer.

I could see this coming.  The OSM Default layer has always been primarily an aid to mapping, and to be honest, kinda ugly.  That last part has improved, so now it actually looks quite good.  But...  That means it's getting popular.  The problem: OSM isn't set up to provide unlimited tiles, nor even to sell them.

No easy solution, short of using a paid layer from another provider - such as some of the other examples already in the list.

PS to Groundspeak:  that map style you had on cache pages for a grand total of two days a few years back (a free trial?), from MapBox I believe, was awesome.  If you're opening the wallet, could we see that one again?  Thanks and yeah, I know, dream on.  :)

I asked other people as well and they don't have this problem. Also, when I select 'OpenStreetmap German Style' it works fine. I noticed that the error has changed from 418 to 403 now (Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 ()).

When I open one of the tiles (for example 'https://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/14/8447/5371.png') of the map in the same tab of the browser, it also loads fine, isn't that strange in case I would have been cut off?

Next to this, when displaying the map in another browser (Edge), the 'OpenStreetMap default"-map is also shown without any problems.