Like A Garmin Extrex, But More Durable Buttons?

JL_HSTRE

The only dedicated GPS device I've used is a Garmin Etrex 30. I mostly like the device in terms of accuracy, features, ease of use, and overall durability. 

However, the buttons aren't durable. I had a button wear out after 4 years. I traded it in for a refurbished unit of the same type. Now two buttons are wearing out, after 7 years of caching (almost twice as long but about half as much caching).

I'd like to find a Garmin similar to an Etrex 30, but with a lifespan of a lot more than 3000 Finds. Any suggestions?

Edited by JL_HSTRE

The gpsMap line up (64x, 65, 66 series) are also button GPS, in which the buttons are a bit more durable than on the eTrex. Buttons will always wear out at some point because the motion produced weak spots in the rubber covering. But the more advanced models are built with higher quality materials. I've had my Oregon 600 now for 6 or 7 years and the rubber over the power button has now developed a crack.

I know there are many posts here where various model GPSr have worn through the rubber that covers a switch (usually the power button) - but I can not for the life of me figure out how that is done.

I have multiple Garmin GPSr, including Oregon x50/6x0/7x0 and Montana 6x0/7x0 models, most with well over 60K cycles on the power button, and none of them show any signs of failing. None of them have been exposed to extreme cold temperatures however, and I suppose that may be tougher on the material if used frequently in temperatures near or below freezing.

Of course, touchscreen devices require far less button pressing, so they may tend to last longer from that perspective alone.