Coin Design Software

rygemini

Specifically for GeoCoins? I haven't seen one, but it may exist.

The "best" art program I've found is PhotoPea - it's essentially a free online version of Photoshop. Nearly all the features of photoshop without the cost. The main downside is that it's online, so if you have a poor internet connection it can be quite frustrating, and I'm paranoid of losing work so I'll save often. If you've never used Photoshop before, there's a bit of a learning curve but the basics are straight forward. If you have, then there are a few nuances to watch for in the differences between PhotoPea and proper Photoshop.

Usually the biggest difference between a good looking geocoin and an average one is the design choices rather than the software used. But this should allow you to knock up a bunch of options that will allow you to refine your design.

Biggest tip: print out copies at the desired production size. Nothing like having it physically in your hand to tell if elements are working or not, and if writing is too big or too small.

GIMP has to be mentioned, since Photoshop was brought up.  Both are stunningly powerful, but GIMP is absolutely free.  EDIT: See the warning on the download page: App Store versions are not official and thus dubious.

I've been using GIMP for years for fun stuff.  Here's an example.  It's not a coin, but rather the cache placement radius for an event.  I borrowed the organizer's head.  :)

carw-2013-60km.thumb.jpg.77f19cf4198314986713e60a76c0265e.jpg

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Surprised 1
4 hours ago, Darwin473 said:

Nothing like having it physically in your hand to tell if elements are working or not, and if writing is too big or too small.

Excellent advice.  I remember an overly complicated geocoin.  I needed a magnifier, nope a stronger one, and patience just to find the blasted tracking code.  It was probably a great design on the big screen...

Any vector graphic software should be sufficient, but using the likes of GIMP, Procreate etc. will still enable you to present your idea well enough. Whoever produces your coin should vector it for you, or this can be done with the mint directly also.