Rock climbing caches on the Front Range (CO)

Beaster

Hi-

I'm looking for some caches that require technical rock climbing located along the Front Range of Colorado. I'm not talking about scrambling up a tough 14-er; I'd like something that requires real, 5th-class, technical climbing (trad or sport, but preferably no aid please).

I've searched the site and have turned up a couple of CO caches rated 5 for terrain, but don't appear to have technical rock climbing involved. I actually ended up placing my own terrain=5 cache last weekend just to get things going a bit.

Thanks,

Sean

Thanks for the reply Cameltrekor. I'm not sure those qualify for what I was looking for though (i.e. real 5th class technical rock climbing).

Cap Rock doesn't qualify since, as the cache page states, "No ropes are needed" and is rated a 4.5.

Soda Fountain is a 5 for terrain, but doesn't qualify since the "special equipement" is a kayak or a raft.

Stone Pony states "not a technical climb" and is rated 4.5

Mt. Garfield says "This is a strenuous hike." No mention of special equipment or technical climbing, so not sure why it's a 5?

Anyway, I appreciate the response. I'll keep looking. Just sorta surprised that in Colorado of all places these things aren't more prevalent.

Thanks,

Sean

Actually no, requiring special skills or technical gear is well within the accepted rules for hiding caches. Please see Geocaching.com FAQ:

quote:

Where are caches found?

The location of a cache can be very entertaining indeed. As many say, location, location, location! The location of a cache demonstrates the founder's skill and possibly even daring. A cache located on the side of a rocky cliff accessible only by rock climbing equipment may be hard to find. An underwater cache may only be accessed by scuba. Other caches may require long difficult hiking, orienteering, and special equipment to get to. Caches may be located in cities both above and below ground, inside and outside buildings. The skillful placement of a small logbook in an urban environment may be quite challenging to find even with the accuracy of a gps. That little logbook may have a hundred dollar bill in it or a map to greater treasure. It could even contain clues or riddles to solve that may lead to other caches. Rich people could have fun with their money by making lucrative caches that could be better than winning the lottery when you find it. Just hope that the person that found the cache just before you left a real big prize!

quote:
Originally posted by bobfireman:

I stand corrected. As for Mt. Garfield, here is more info:http://www.co.blm.gov/gjra/mtgarfieldhiking.htm. Just because you don't need rock climbing equipment, doesn't mean it doesn't warrant a 5 rating. The ratings are more for the "average Joe" than elitists.

http://www.bobfireman.com

Quite correct - a cache can be a terrain=5 even without a requirement for special equipment, and I shouldn't have questioned the rating of the Mt. Garfield cache based soley on the description. Anyhoo, I'm still looking for some technical climbing caches if they're out there.

Thanks,

Sean