we need more WILDERNESS CACHES and less URBAN CACHES

KD7MXI

yeah, i too am getting tired of caches 200 feet off the road in a bed of sand or under a bush. however, some of the ones i've hit like that were for boyscouts, girlscouts or other youth related orginizations that were getting their children started. also, some of the city caches i've hit were in some nice parks. but i definitely agree that there should be more out-of-city caches. i know two dozen good places for a cache but i travel too much and am too busy to take responsibility for placing one. we need an adopt-a-cache-site thing, or something like that, for people who want to place one but don't know where to place it.

As many people have said in the past... if you don't like it, don't go after it. The map inset on the cache page will let you view an aerial photo of the site, and it's very easy to determine if it's an urban cache or a wilderness cache.

Wilderness caches are great, but sometimes it's hard for us city-slickers to find a suitable location that's not in a state or national park.

You may have encountered some lame caches, but urban caches are not inherently bad. There are plenty of poor-quality wilderness caches, too.

It's far more difficult to find a rewarding location in an urban environment, as well as one where you can hide something larger than a thimble, and in a place where non-cachers won't stumble across it.

Successful urban cachers deserve a big thumbs-up for their ingenuity in overcoming these many obstacles!

Keep those urban caches coming!

-- Doppler

quote:
You may have encountered some lame caches, but urban caches are not inherently bad. There are plenty of poor-quality wilderness caches, too.

It's far more difficult to find a rewarding location in an urban environment, as well as one where you can hide something larger than a thimble, and in a place where non-cachers won't stumble across it.

I totally agree. Some of the best caches I have been to have been urban caches. Of course, here in Sacramento, we are blessed with thousands of acres of urban wilderness... the American River Parkway that runs through our city. We have scores of caches within the city. And some VERY clever cachers!

- Rent

you know, cam caches changes the urban caching completely. i think you have to discern what is going to be good for the area. i've seen some cool puzzle caches that actually used buildings and such in the puzzle and this couldn't be done outside the city. the web-cam cache tops it though, that is soooooo fly. =) plus netmage and i thought of it before it was being done. 8^P

During conversation with a couple of fellow cachers, we were looking over a map of the Sacramento area with only around half of the 140+ caches plotted. The cache density is incredible! In one five mile section, it appeared almost as though you could hike by stepping from cache to cache.

The cache density raises a fundamental question. Where is caching going? Are we simply placing an ever increasing number of caches in locations where there are already numerous caches? If so, I fear that caching will eventually become no more than high-tech littering. And what of park rangers and administrators? So far, in my area, they have been mostly silent about geocaching, but with nearly a hundred caches in Sacramento’s American River Parkway you have to wonder when enough is enough.

Don’t get me wrong, some urban caches are outstanding. However, with the large number of caches in urban areas, it becomes very difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Don

Actually I think it would be nice to have more caches in cities. I don't always feel like driving far and hiking.

In Los Angeles where I live there would be plenty of space to 'geocache'. I guess the only problem are the size of the boxes to hide. They might be too big (even microcaches) to have a lot of them in your area.

Enough rambling!!

i think sometimes we lose sight of why we play this "game" or "sport". I feel it not what i get, heaven knows i have enough "stuff" in my garage as it is, ask my wife. It the hunt, to go out and see new things in your area. I have found great parks near my home as well as great area in the country. i plan on doing some on a local island. My view (which is one out of thounsand, lost count how many of us there are!!! icon_eek.gif ) this a way to bring the family together and to find new areas both near and far. Dude if ya dont like the "urban" ones dont do them... icon_confused.gif