Laptop-GPSr-PDA

Green Achers

If I were to give up on my well trusted Macintoch - just for Geocaching mind you...

What would I need in a LAPTOP PC?

All I want it to do is

Receive email (Eudora)

GPSr waypoint uploads (via GPX files)

PDA uploads (via GPX2HTML/Plucker)

The Laptop could even be a used/outdated PC model as my needs as real simple. Geocaching Only. Any suggestions, offers (send email regarding offers) or advise?

Bill of Green Achers

''All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.''

--Lily Tomlin

Well, if your a dyed in the wool Mac user, I can't help you. I'm a PC acolyte myself. But you could pick up some cheap (i.e. slow) laptops off of eBay. If you're using it for travel, the Toshiba line of computers have some pretty small models out that would do the job. However, you won't get a screamer of a computer on the cheap. Something in the 200 mHz speed will probably be found at a reasonable price.

Another thought, is that if you get an older laptop, it may not be supported on the new OS platforms. I have an old Toshiba that can't run anything newer than Win 98. Something to keep in mind when loading some of your software (like the Eudora), because most software vendors aren't supporting the older Windows versions anymore.

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.