Need a little help from someone in the Carlsbad, NM area

linkerjpatrick

I'm pretty active on a web board is dicussing the restoration of D'ni( the civilization and city ruins mentioned in the Myst games and books) a Mysterious figure has send us the cordinates of

N 32 degrees 17.997

W 104 degrees 16.448

We have looked at maps and arial or satellite shots and are unsure where to go from there. We would love to see some photos of that area and what the cordinates mean. We would be so grateful for anyones help. I sure new geocachers would come from your help.

I invite anyone to visit http://www.drcsite.org and follow the progress of the "dni restoration council" I'm sure a few of the Geocachers out there are fans of Myst, Riven, etc. Those games seems to appeal to that same sense of exploration.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

[This message was edited by phgreer on July 23, 2002 at 10:11 AM.]

If someone could go to the coords and take some photos I would be happy to link them into an "immersive" 360-degree environment. This would allow all to "visit" the location and look around.

To do it I need a series of 12 to 20 photos that overlap. To shoot them stand on the coords given and take one photo, turn slightly (making sure the next photo overlaps the previous photo about 20%) and take another photo. Repeat until you've taken enough photos to completely turn around (a complete 360). Keep the camera as level as possible.

Email the photos to me and I will stitch them into a 360 presentation so that we can all see what's in the area. Contact me through this site and I will forward my email address.

As a MYST fan myself, I would love to help this new cacher out.

Geospotter forwarded us a request for help in obtaining the photos since we have a couple of nearby caches. Unfortunately, we will not be in the area until fall.

However, we have posted an information note on both cache pages asking anyone headed for the caches to consider helping and directing them to this forum for further information.

Hope that helps.

Jim

Team ZiaCache

One of our team members, Mike Sutherland, is a Myst fan too, he's on the drc site as well. There's just one thing that he needed to add, and that's that we're not quite sure what we're looking for, or whether there will be any kind of cache there.

In addition to the coordinates, there's also a few seemingly cryptic phrases that were given along with it, these being "BillBoard", "airstream", and "The gathered are known by their faces in stone." The guy who's sending us all this stuff is named "J. Zandi," by the way.

So we might be looking for a roadside billboard, an airstream trailer, or something. If anybody happens to be driving down Route 62, it would be just great if you could pull the car over and look for anything out of the ordinary. Nothing elaborate needed, but the 360-degree idea sounds teriffic too. This looks like a very unique case to me, it could be quite fun! We're sort of disappointed that we won't be able to pop down there ourselves.

Happy hunting!

Yes, things that would be of particular interest would be:

Airstream trailer (or something that looks like it could relate to air or airstreams)

Billboards or signs

Drawings or carvings on rocks

Caves, holes in the ground, or doors

And of course anything else out of the ordinary: notes, buildings...we aren't completely sure what we are looking for, but the stuff mentioned above are some the theories that are floating around of what /could/ be there.

The members (aka Myst,Riven,Exile, "mudpie" fans ) would like to thank Joel Mozer and his daughter for their visit and photos of the "Zandi point cache" near Carlsbad, NM

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=30088

we have studied the pictures and at first glance it would seem that nothing significant is there but several people have noticed things that warrent further investigation;

1.) Joel's Daughter is standing next to a white post in one of his photo's. It looks new and we wonder if the red top can be removed and if something is inside (a cache perhaps?)

2.) Another member noticed what appeared to be something scrawled on the backside of one of the posts of the Carlsbad Inn billboard. If you are not a fan or the games from Cyan it might not mean much but something thinks they saw a "d'ni" number. D'ni numbers are sort of like roman numerals but they are based in a base five system and instead if "V's , C's I's X's and M's they have curves and sideways "V".s

for a better view see;

http://www.drcsite.org/dniEssentials.shtml

and click on the numerals link.

3.) Also their are Rocks groups near the barbed wire fence. We was wondering if someone could take a close up view of them

4.) sort of behind the girl and the fence is an old wooden post with what appears to be a switch. A close up picture of that would be nice.

5.) If anyone see's anything that looks like a trailer very nearby but in particular and "airstream" that would be nice to see that.

6.) Arial photo's suggest a nearby windmill. A view of that would be nice too.

Thanks for all you help ahead of time! icon_smile.gif

P.S. I went out and found my first cache in Greenville,SC (where I live) last evening.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3867

The adventure begins!

[This message was edited by phgreer on July 29, 2002 at 06:53 AM.]

The members (aka Myst,Riven,Exile, "mudpie" fans ) would like to thank Joel Mozer and his daughter for their visit and photos of the "Zandi point cache" near Carlsbad, NM

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=30088

we have studied the pictures and at first glance it would seem that nothing significant is there but several people have noticed things that warrent further investigation;

1.) Joel's Daughter is standing next to a white post in one of his photo's. It looks new and we wonder if the red top can be removed and if something is inside (a cache perhaps?)

2.) Another member noticed what appeared to be something scrawled on the backside of one of the posts of the Carlsbad Inn billboard. If you are not a fan or the games from Cyan it might not mean much but something thinks they saw a "d'ni" number. D'ni numbers are sort of like roman numerals but they are based in a base five system and instead if "V's , C's I's X's and M's they have curves and sideways "V".s

for a better view see;

http://www.drcsite.org/dniEssentials.shtml

and click on the numerals link.

3.) Also their are Rocks groups near the barbed wire fence. We was wondering if someone could take a close up view of them

4.) sort of behind the girl and the fence is an old wooden post with what appears to be a switch. A close up picture of that would be nice.

5.) If anyone see's anything that looks like a trailer very nearby but in particular and "airstream" that would be nice to see that.

6.) Arial photo's suggest a nearby windmill. A view of that would be nice too.

Thanks for all you help ahead of time! icon_smile.gif

P.S. I went out and found my first cache in Greenville,SC (where I live) last evening.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3867

The adventure begins!

[This message was edited by phgreer on July 29, 2002 at 06:53 AM.]