Tutorial to build own cartridge from scratch

Kadhira

Hi,

I have long wanted to create several specific Wherigo caches, for which Wherigo//kit is not flexible enough and the authors of earwigo did not react to my applications for an account for more than a year. I am not a windows user, so all other builder options do not apply. Since I am a programmer, I think it should be possible to write a cartridge from scratch. Is there a recommendable tutorial for it? What kind of compilers do I need? Is there a free emulator I can use on mac?

Best wishes

Kadhira

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Kadhira said:

the authors of earwigo did not react to my applications for an account for more than a year

You should try again. @sTeamTraen

(Earwigo's author) was really busy last year and may have missed your application.

6 hours ago, Kadhira said:

Since I am a programmer, I think it should be possible to write a cartridge from scratch. Is there a recommendable tutorial for it? What kind of compilers do I need? Is there a free emulator I can use on mac?

There is no such tutorial I can think of. Wherigo cartridges specs were never officially published. But you can write a Wherigo cartridge from scratch if you want. There are open source cartridges in the Wherigo.com repository you can download, open and learn from. I'd recommend to begin with some of Ranger Fox ones because he wrote them without the help of the advanced tools (Urwigo, Earwigo,...) and therefore the code is easily readable. You won't need any compiler (because the website is in charge of this part of the job). You'll just have to write your LUA source code.

As an emulator, I'd use webwigo.net. I believe it accepts to play GWZ file so you wouldn't need to compile it at all.

I like the idea to build WIGs with Scratch, but i do not know a way to do that.

I also think that URWIGO is the best way to build a WIG.

But if you have much programming experience it might be easier to write code instead of moving blocks.