Compass not working

I seldom use the geocaching app; I like using my old Garmin.  

For years the app worked fine but recently neither the compass nor the “line” rotate.   The indicated angle is correct compared to north, but it won’t rotate!

I have an iPhone SE and its compass app works fine.  However, this is a replacement for an older unit that broke about a year ago.  I can’t say positivity if this app ever worked correctly on my SE.  

I’m not sure if this happened after a software update either.  

IMPORTANT:  I’ve recently noticed that my app for tracking the ISS is acting up in the same way!

So, now I have TWO apps with a non functioning compass!

i wonder if both apps are trying to access part of the iPhone’s software ( or hardware ) that no longer reside in the memory location that these apps access to use the compass function?  OR, is something set wrong in my iPhone?

Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, michigansnorkelers said:

I seldom use the geocaching app; I like using my old Garmin.  

For years the app worked fine but recently neither the compass nor the “line” rotate.   The indicated angle is correct compared to north, but it won’t rotate!

I have an iPhone SE and its compass app works fine.  However, this is a replacement for an older unit that broke about a year ago.  I can’t say positivity if this app ever worked correctly on my SE.  

I’m not sure if this happened after a software update either.  

IMPORTANT:  I’ve recently noticed that my app for tracking the ISS is acting up in the same way!

So, now I have TWO apps with a non functioning compass!

i wonder if both apps are trying to access part of the iPhone’s software ( or hardware ) that no longer reside in the memory location that these apps access to use the compass function?  OR, is something set wrong in my iPhone?

Any suggestions?

On my Android app, the only two apps having trouble are the one for geocaching and the one for spotting the ISS. I cannot figure out what's wrong either.

FIXED!!!

I gave up on this for a while.  

Today, I was playing with the iPhone compass feature and went into setting to change it from MAGNETIC to TRUE.  It stopped working!

i searched for a fix, and it turns out that the fix also fixed the problem with the geocaching app!  Hooray!!!

here are the steps that worked for me. 

Go to Settings

privacy

location services ON

geocaching WHILE USING APP 

now click on BACK to get to the previous screen

System Services

I turned on all of the following. 

on compass calibration 

on location based alerts 

on motion calibration and distance

on setting time zone 

on system customization 

I don’t know if ALL of these needed to be turned on, but it fixed the problem.