FR: Improve Reviewer Tools to Prevent Event Gap

sloth96

After a recent chat with my local reviewer, I cannot publish an event for a day after the current department of health guidelines expire because of events are not being published within the current order. This will lead to a gap after the order expires where there cannot be events that are not published after the order started. The simplest is an event that occurs the day after the current order. The CO needs to submit it 2 weeks ahead of time and the reviewer has 7 days to react. Anywhere in the 7 day window after the lifting of the order will not be possible to have one's event published.

Given that this is a few weeks away, is there any action to improve the software so that events can be approved but not published.  They could then be published automatically within say 24 or 48 hours of the scheduled expiration of the order. 

This would afford the governments the opportunity to extend the order and also allow the geocaching community to return to normalcy sooner without the gap.

I think all versions of what you suggest would require some sort of human (or dog, as the case may be) intervention of some sort.  It would either require someone to type in this hypothetical SIP expiration order (we've had 2 extensions in my area, so it's quite a moving target), or to manually be there to Publish the Listing, failing the software end of things not working that you suggest (which is more than likely).

Given that SIP orders come in a variety of flavors (e.g. City Governement, County/Parrish, and State Level), this sounds like a pretty impossible set of circumstances to keep track of for man/woman or machine.

I think the best course of action is to merely keep tuned in to local and State offices of emergency services, where most of these sorts of orders originate, with also one ear  to the local Public Health Department chatter, to see when the SIP order might be lifted.  I think in a general sense, this is going to be impossible to predict, as the dates get pushed further and further out on an almost weekly basis.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
5 hours ago, sloth96 said:

I cannot publish an event for a day after the current department of health guidelines expire

You're assuming that these restrictions will expire on time and will not be extended.  I wish I had your optimism.

image.thumb.png.bad889f61d02af1642776e436d37bf82.png

I think Massachusetts has bigger fish to fry at the moment than event planning.

Edited by hzoi
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1