CoronaVirus and Geocaching

MamaBe

Has there been an announcement telling geocachers whether it is advisable to or not to Geocache right now.

I had a new Geocacher visit one of my geocaches today. I thought that was not a good idea.I suggested they make some Geocaches while staying at home.

Rebecca Mitchell

aka MamaBe

• Funny 1

Sure, and it's pretty basic too  "...we encourage geocachers to follow the most current guidance from public health authorities when choosing how to participate in activities such as geocaching. Your health and safety are the top priority."  See their blog.   :)

We're in a "restricted" area, yet our health officials say that if able, we could use some exercise, sunlight, and fresh air, while following the "social distancing" guidelines

I've been going for walks on the way to/from the doctor, who appreciates that I'm making myself healthier during this issue.

Your area may be different.    Fortunately, the site figures that as adults, we will have some common sense, and abide by local guidelines.

6 hours ago, MamaBe said:

Has there been an announcement telling geocachers whether it is advisable to or not to Geocache right now.

I had a new Geocacher visit one of my geocaches today. I thought that was not a good idea.I suggested they make some Geocaches while staying at home.

Rebecca Mitchell

aka MamaBe

Yes, California Governor Newsom issues a Shelter in Place order back in March with the following guidance regarding outdoor activities, of which geocaching would be included:

Can I still exercise? Take my kids to the park for fresh air? Take a walk around the block?

Yes. So long as you are maintaining a safe social distance of six feet from people who aren’t part of your household, it is ok to go outside for exercise, a walk or fresh air. Gyms are closed.

The User that found your cache yesterday, also found another cache that was within a couple of city blocks from your cache, which seems to fit within the spirit of the guidance given by the Governor.

• Helpful 2

Not seeing anything in this forum area from the reviewer responsible for Colorado (pseudonym IgnotusPeverell) regarding publishing of caches.  Appears to have ceased here on 24 March. 

Colorado has been and remains accepting of outdoor activity.  Even City of Denver golf courses are due to open tomorrow, although with new and sensible restrictions in place.  Does our reviewer have any planned schedule for resumption of publishing caches?  Perhaps on the scheduled 26 April S of CO date for further loosening restrictions here?