Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
the Dino-mic Duo

Issue Adding Caches to Lists

Recommended Posts

I maintain a list of puzzle caches that I have solved but not yet found. I also solve some archived puzzle caches. I noticed recently on two occasions that I was not able to add archived caches to my list (when I type the cache ID, normally a little drop down shows the ID and cache name, but for these none appears) and I can't add them to the list. Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, the Dino-mic Duo said:

I maintain a list of puzzle caches that I have solved but not yet found. I also solve some archived puzzle caches. I noticed recently on two occasions that I was not able to add archived caches to my list (when I type the cache ID, normally a little drop down shows the ID and cache name, but for these none appears) and I can't add them to the list. Any ideas?

Do you get an error code?  Or nothing happens?

Share this post


Link to post

This was mentioned on page 5 of the new list Release Notes thread:

 

Quote

The Add cache module won't accept archived?  The + in green  circle  is the Module I'm referring to, on a list page. You can bookmark archived from the cache page, but not from the list page, unless I'm missing something?

 

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, the Dino-mic Duo said:

I maintain a list of puzzle caches that I have solved but not yet found. I also solve some archived puzzle caches. I noticed recently on two occasions that I was not able to add archived caches to my list (when I type the cache ID, normally a little drop down shows the ID and cache name, but for these none appears) and I can't add them to the list. Any ideas?

 

If they have been archived, they are "Officially" out of play, so you can't add new logs to them. That is done by some people when they see a list of sketchy logs that seem fake. One of the many problems the sport has from lack of morals these days. It's like cheating at solitaire.

Seeker_Knight

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Seeker_Knight said:

If they have been archived, they are "Officially" out of play, so you can't add new logs to them. That is done by some people when they see a list of sketchy logs that seem fake. One of the many problems the sport has from lack of morals these days. It's like cheating at solitaire.

You seem to have confused "archived" with "locked".

 

It can be perfectly fine to post logs to an archived cache. If people are behind on logging their field notes drafts, then a cache (or event) may be archived before they post their logs. Or if people are using a group account, and one (or more) decides to split off and re-logs Finds with a separate individual account, then that may include re-logging Finds on caches that have since been archived. Or if someone tags along with a geocacher for a while, and then decides to create an account and log the caches they found together, then that may include logging Finds on caches that have since been archived.

 

All of this is perfectly fine. If the ability to log archived caches is being abused, then the cache can be locked. This is relatively rare, however.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/3/2020 at 5:57 PM, Max and 99 said:

Do you get an error code?  Or nothing happens?

When I click the + sign in the circle to add the cache to the list, the "Add geocache to list" box opens. When I type in the GC code, it normally opens a pull down list of caches that match the description and you highlight one to choose it. In this cache, it does not bring up such a pulldown list and if I try to click on the "Add geocache" button, the cursor turns to a red circle with line (as in, that is not allowed). So, I can't add the archived cache to my list. I used to be able to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, the Dino-mic Duo said:

When I click the + sign in the circle to add the cache to the list, the "Add geocache to list" box opens. When I type in the GC code, it normally opens a pull down list of caches that match the description and you highlight one to choose it. In this cache, it does not bring up such a pulldown list

 

This is because they've changed the lookup to use the search functionality, and since you can't 'search' for archived caches, you can't add a cache (any longer) this method. It's an unfortunate change and IMO a limitation (we've discussed it elsewhere in the forum and I'm still of the mind that entering a specific GC code should allow access to functions on it specifically so that actual searches still don't have to take into consideration poring through the millions of archived listings)

But anyway. Glad you resolved it :)

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3

×
×
  • Create New...