A travel bug adventure - over a cliff!

barefootjeff

Last weekend at a Christmas event, a friend gave me a waratah flower TB created by Geocaching New South Wales with a goal to visit all the caches that had won their Geocache of the Month award, with instructions that I should visit it to my cache GC6JMDK which won the award in August last year.

WaratahSmall.jpg.ab743fedba02a9b2d09e6e6e9d3cca19.jpg

With a mild overcast morning ahead of more extreme fire weather tomorrow, I decided to take it up to the cache's final location on the cliff-top above Wondabyne railway station, to both make the required TB visit and retrieve the cache for safe-keeping until the present fire danger has passed. Reaching GZ, I thought I'd sit the cache's themed container near the edge with the TB's stem tucked into its side to get a photo to post with the log, but as I was doing that, a wind gust caught the petals, lifting it out and across over the edge.

TBPhoto.jpg.c994d64def5be70cac92dab86440a8a0.jpg

After uttering a plethora of curses aimed at the caching gods, I thought I'd better at least make my way around and down to the cliff base to see if I could find it. Getting there took a lot of bush-bashing and rock-scrambling and by then the sun was breaking through the smoke and cloud, making it increasingly unpleasant, but I eventually reached a point directly below GZ and found, well, nothing. Thinking it had probably landed on top of a tree or was blown back into one of the inaccessible ledges part-way down the cliff, I was about to give up but decided to climb on top of a boulder to have a more elevated look. Again I could see nothing, but to the south there was a bit of a fern-covered ledge along the cliff base so I thought I'd do one final walk along there before calling it quits. I'd taken just two steps when I looked down and saw I'd almost stepped on it!

The TB is now back safe on my desk and at the earliest opportunity I'll be passing it on to another Geocache of the Month winner who hopefully won't have quite as trying a time with it as I've had.

• Upvote 4
  • Funny 1