Names

peem

I'm using both an Oregon 700 and an Etrex 10 (as a spare) and when I have made a list and d/l it to either gps they show up as gc numbers not names.

I decided to set them up again, so...

I went to 'set up' > 'geocaching' > 'style' > 'show names'. I then d/l another list and they still show up as codes. What on earth am I doing wrong?

Also any list I d/l only appears as waypoints. Is that correct?

Apologies if I'm doing something really stupid.

39 minutes ago, peem said:

I then d/l another list and they still show up as codes.

Are you specifically using "Garmin Express" and the "Send To Garmin" feature?  https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=138&pgid=827

If you are using "Send To Garmin", maybe some settings on the GPS have been set to non-Geocaching features. By default, the Garmin GPS shows Geocache names.  If you had to select that, more settings may need work.  Also remember that there are Waypoint lists, and Geocache lists, different listings.

• Helpful 1

Yes I am using the Garmin Express and the Send To Garmin feature. I set the GPS up as per the instructions. I've been over them many times to see if I've messed something up but I haven't. I didn't have to select 'Show Names' as it was, as you say, set that way by default. I did select something else (what it was escapes me for the moment) and then reset it to 'show names' to see if it would rectify the situation but obviously it didn't.

You say : " Also remember that there are Waypoint lists, and Geocache lists, different listings." I have to admit I don't think I've ever actually taken notice of this. Could you explain further please.

Edit: Here's a strange thing. While reading your reply I d/l another list and there it was in the geocache page on my GPS with the proper names! Success I thought, although I have no idea how. Anyway I went to have a look at the first list which was still in the waypoints section. I then went to Basecamp to see how they looked there. The new list only appeared as GC numbers!! I disconnected the GPS again (properly) and the new list was now in the Waypoints section with GC numbers again, alongside the first list. I looked into the geocache section where it had successfully shown up. It was obviously no longer there. Also it was reading ' No Results found. Try adjusting search parameters'. Honestly, I have adjusted the parameters in every way possible. At the moment they are set to look for any type of cache with D's and T's from 1-5.

I accept I'm missing something simple but I am completely lost.

Oh also I d/l a single geocache to my desktop. It also appears with the gc number. I renamed it and sent it to my GPS and it's there as it should be.

All this was done on the Oregon 700.

4 hours ago, peem said:

Yes I am using the Garmin Express and the Send To Garmin feature. I set the GPS up as per the instructions. I've been over them many times to see if I've messed something up but I haven't. I didn't have to select 'Show Names' as it was, as you say, set that way by default. I did select something else (what it was escapes me for the moment) and then reset it to 'show names' to see if it would rectify the situation but obviously it didn't.

You say : " Also remember that there are Waypoint lists, and Geocache lists, different listings." I have to admit I don't think I've ever actually taken notice of this. Could you explain further please.

Edit: Here's a strange thing. While reading your reply I d/l another list and there it was in the geocache page on my GPS with the proper names! Success I thought, although I have no idea how. Anyway I went to have a look at the first list which was still in the waypoints section. I then went to Basecamp to see how they looked there. The new list only appeared as GC numbers!! I disconnected the GPS again (properly) and the new list was now in the Waypoints section with GC numbers again, alongside the first list. I looked into the geocache section where it had successfully shown up. It was obviously no longer there. Also it was reading ' No Results found. Try adjusting search parameters'. Honestly, I have adjusted the parameters in every way possible. At the moment they are set to look for any type of cache with D's and T's from 1-5.

I accept I'm missing something simple but I am completely lost.

Oh also I d/l a single geocache to my desktop. It also appears with the gc number. I renamed it and sent it to my GPS and it's there as it should be.

All this was done on the Oregon 700.

There are two Apps in a Garmin Oregon (such as an Oregon 700), "Geocaching" and "Waypoints", accessed from the main "App Drawer" (main menu).  These Apps search and list Geocaches and Waypoints separately.

It almost seems like your issue is related to Basecamp:  Send a list to the Garmin, and it's fine, but plug it into the PC and run Basecamp, and now all caches show up as "waypoints" with GC numbered caches.  You may have to dig into the individual waypoints, to see what changed.  Typically, a GC number is a waypoint with extra information that identifies it as a Geocache.  The Garmin understands these as Geocaches, and creates separate lists from ordinary waypoints. Although you may set the Garmin to display these items in other ways, I didn't know that Basecamp could be made to change "Geocaches" into waypoints.  If that's what's happening.

What is your process for using Basecamp with GC named Geocaches after loading them into the Oregon 700?  If it works great until connecting to Basecamp, is it an option for you to not use Basecamp?  It seems like that would fix the whole problem. 

You may have hit upon the solution with your comment about Basecamp. I've been trying a few things. First I had Basecamp open and my gps connected. I made a new list and used the 'send to Garmin' feature. No sign of the caches anywhere this time. Not in the geocache or waypoint sections.Next I closed Basecamp and disconnected the gps, I then made another list. I reconnected the gps and sent the list to it. Success, there they were in the geocache section in all their glory. I then fired up Basecamp again. The new caches are there ok but still as GC codes. No matter I'll only use Basecamp when I need to delete them.

Just as an aside (and I don't look at this as a problem) I decided to d/l a single cache. I use the 'download gpx' button. It is saved to my desktop where I also have a copy of my gpx folder. I can therefore drag and drop the single cache into it. This also is the gc number so I c&p the name and changed it before it is sent to the gps. Then all is good. Is that how it is meant to be do you know? Not that I care :), now you've solved my main problem.

Many many thanks.