Unregistered travel bug

Manxme

Picked up a travel bug today

Entered the code in the trackables and its asking me to register\ activate the travel bug.

I don't own this bug, and no bugs were logged in the cache. (There was 3 in it), 

Any ideas on how I can trace the bug to the owner and get it on its way?

Edited by Manxme

Did you try to swap numbers/letters ?    An incorrect code will give you that notice...

Sometimes a code will look like 0 (zero) when it's really O (oh), l for I (ell for eye), 3 for 8, - that kinda thing.

Like you, we find most trackables the last couple years in caches they aren't listed in.   :)

It's possible that the unactivated trackable was placed as a 'prize' or 'gift' to other cachers.  This is more likely if it's a newly published cache, where the CO might've left it as an FTF prize.  It could also be that a cacher left it as swag, intending for a subsequent finder to have it. You might be able to determine that by reading through some recent logs on the cache to see if anyone mentioned dropping off trackables.  Maybe reach out to the cacher that found the Wherigo before you, as they mentioned trading TB's.

It's also possible that someone bought the trackable and put it in the cache before activating themselves.  Can be hard to tell, unless they mentioned it in a cache log.

If you can't track down the original owner of the trackable, then you could go ahead and activate it via the geocaching.com website - even if you don't have the activation code, then the site will guide you regarding how to retrieve it. Or, you could just drop it into another cache and leave it to someone else to figure out.

43 minutes ago, seiduselbst said:

I have had the same Situation last sunday. Today I visited an event and wanted to share the code for discover-logs. So I activated it. Some hours later I got a message… Now I´ve got the problem, that I want to swap the ownership. Any ideas to solve this Problem?

Not sure what you're saying.  Noticed you found a Travel Bug that was unactivated and you activated it.

What "message" did you get hours later ?    What is "the problem" ?

It sounds like the Owner might have mailed to say it's theirs, and now you want to let him "transfer" it (since you activated it).

If that's it, I'd tell the Owner that I don't have a problem.    They didn't activate it.     :)

But, the Steps for Adopting or Transferring a Trackable may be what you're looking for if that's the issue. 

Edited by cerberus1
lose an f

We found one like that once - the cache we found it in hadn't been found for a while, so we just activated it and sent it off on its way, with a note on the page explaining our 'adoption' and offering to adopt it back to the rightful owner if someone thought that was them.....