question on WayTours

vulture1957

On 4/8/2022 at 4:05 PM, ScroogieII said:

And what is a "poor slob", non-coder doing on the support desk in the first place, Tom? I should think a "poor slob" coder would have been of more use in such a position. :rolleyes: :D

"undocumented design features", BTW, should be marketed as what they really are - FREE GIFTS!

Keith

Yea, I've got words for your "free gifts" - they're the gifts that keep on giving.  I have done quite well in life being on a Support Desk answering the phones with my 35+ years of experience in Customer Service supporting software with the user perspective in mind.  Problem is that esteemed coders usually can only communicate with end users through Post-it notes and whiteboards - not really the milieu of phone support.  Besides, do programmers actually ever leave their caves for anything other than more Diet Mountain Dew and cold pizza?  I thought that talking to customers would make the developers break out into the D.T.'s?   LOL

Nah, I never had the slightest desire to program after dropping a significant stack of unnumbered keypunch cards back in 1978.  I pretty much had my fill after that...

On 4/9/2022 at 1:45 AM, FamilieFrohne said:

But do you maintain the list, when there are new waymarks added to the area? Or wouldn't it be better to add some links to a seach on Waymarking around the place like this: https://www.Waymarking.com/wm/search.aspx?f=1&wo=True&st=2&lat=50.83242&lon=6.90722 so that the user could see the list for himself? Or a combination of both?

You have 15,000 characters in which to play with in the long description.  It sounds like a lot RIGHT up to the point you start playing with html to make the long description look really nice.

Here is my waytour of a few of the sites of a U.S. Civil War Raid into Lawrence, Kansas, near where I live:

https://Waymarking.com/waymarks/wm13X7N_Re_Ride_with_the_Devil_Quantrills_1863_Raid_Lawrence_Kansas

The waymarks I posted all have to do with the stop - not with anything nearby.  My thought is that it is more important to give the opportunity to get the visits of the object of the stop that to start wandering off my WayTour.  This is especially important when person doing the tour gets to Downtown Lawrence.  I have almost every building from 5th to 11th Street along Massachusetts waymarked, and if I added what's nearby, I wouldn't have space.  Besides, there was a tremendous amount of information I had to cut to fit the 15,000 character limit as it was.  

Again, I was only concerned with the object at hand and only at the time of publication.  It helps that I am one of the few waymarkers in Kansas.  
I literally have only 46 out of the 15,000 characters left that I can add to the long description for this waytour.

Well yes, 15000 characters is in some cases not enough. And if you also have to provide a translation (i.e. from German to English) it usually reduces to half the size (more or less) - something I have to think about, too.

I can see from your example above, that adding "context dependant" waymarks to the listing adds value for the reader.

13 hours ago, iconions said:

Diet Mountain Dew and cold pizza

Really, one should carry a bit of sympathy for folks who must exist on Mountain Dew and cold pizza, wouldn't you think?

13 hours ago, iconions said:

dropping a significant stack of unnumbered keypunch cards back in 1978

LOLOLOL - yeah, I remember that story. I dealt with keypunch cards in 1969. I'm actually surprised that the state of the art hadn't progressed beyond those things in 9 years.

Keith