Two year anniversay

makaio

At the risk of stealing any thunder from Trafcon...

Today, 10/22, marks the 2 year anniversary of my first find. I actually started in Sept of 2000, but failed on my first few find attempts and actually placed my first cache prior to my first find. Still, I consider this date as my anniversary.

As luck would have it, my first find was also the world's first geocache - Dave Ulmer's Original Stash. Now I'm glad I failed to find those few I'd tried.

I'm lousy with words and couldn't come close to expressing how wonderful this sport and those friends I've made during my tenure are. Suffice it to say there is not a single person with whom I've come in 'contact' (no pun intended) during this time that hasn't contributed in some way to making me a better person.

PDX is unequivicably (sp?) THE best place for geocaching and making friends.

Thanks to each and every one of you I've met personally and through this wonderful online medium. You're the greatest!

-

When I started this quest I knew that there were mentors such as you that had been the pioneers in the sport. I know when I first queried one year ago, there were 166 caches within 100 mi. radius of my house. Now there are 667. Wonder how many there were when you started maybe 5 or 6?

I have relied on the wisdom and help of the old salts such as you for the last year and will continue to do so. Thanks for keeping the sport fun. Glad I have folks such as you and Fractal living close and keeping me busy with fun caches.

KTF !!! GBWY !!!

Congratulations.. and thank you for taking up the game! Like I've said before, your kind words are what helped me stick with the game after my first cache was plundered. Now, I'm up to 100 finds... I wouldn't have gotten there without you. You've been a good influence, and a good friend.

I know you might be moving in the distant future... I hope you meet up with another crowd as fun as the PDX crew... But, you probably won't since we're the best icon_wink.gif

Again.. Congratulations! And thanks icon_wink.gif

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45? 30.ish

W 122? 58.ish

When i first started, makaio had a whopping 51 finds, and i was sure that i'd never catch up to him. But then the amount of caches in pdx increased exponentially.

I just wish i would've started geocaching a little earlier so that i could see the birth of the spikes.

Congrats, makaio!

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

Small world this is, as I was originally learned about Makaio through his 4X4 friends and not Geocaching. The conversation started:

Me: Guys, I found this killer GPS game on the web. You get to hunt things in the woods.

Friends: Hey, I know a "jeeper" who does the same thing. Even has a website for it. And he lives just up the street.

Me: Cool website! Cool Jeep.

Friends: What is this game you speak of?

Congrats dude!! Glad to have you on our team! You too Trafcon! I owe you a hamburger. icon_biggrin.gif

Yep,

It's been said already, but when I got started (in May of 2001) you were one of the first "Friendly Posters" that I came accross. Shy by nature and turned completely off by previous BB/Forum experiencies, I was reluctant to ask questions or seek advice. Your enthusiasm put me at ease and (as they say) the rest is history. I'm glad you're still here.

9617_300.jpg

I've been convinced for a long time that the flying saucers are real and interplanetary. In other words we are being watched by beings from outer space. -Albert M. Chop, NASA