newbie question!

pdxkim

Yeah, sometimes that really does happen. Cool, ain't it? It took us a while to learn that when we see a new cache we want to find, also click on the 'nearby caches' link (close to the middle of each cache's page). Sometimes there are more caches closeby, occasionally even in the same park or 'neck of the woods' like you have discovered. That way you can get a 1-, 2- or, if you're REALLY lucky, a 3-fer! Of course there are lots more example, but here are two more to get you goin'. These are within about 1/4 mile of each other in the same park: Canine Confluence and The Cache Worth Finding

Have lots of fun! icon_biggrin.gif

The older and more popular this game/sport/activity gets, the fewer the areas become with no caches. Check out Buxley's maps for a nice visual.

Hence, some areas get multiple caches placed within close proximity. Someone even placed a cache within 50 feet of one of mine and the logs have since reflected folks getting them mixed up (eg: "left TravelbugX in cacheA" in my log followed by "took TravelbugX from cacheB" in the other cache log.)

Generally, folks check to see if any caches are nearby to where they want to place one prior to placing theirs, but there's no rules about what's too close.

Have fun with your new Magellan and keep an eye open for upcoming get togethers.

-

quote:
Originally posted by The Tungsten Jihad!:

quote:
Originally posted by dasein:

Yeah, sometimes that really does happen. Cool, ain't it?

You make it sound like a good thing? icon_wink.gif

It CAN be a good thing, depending on how you look at it. What I think IS neat is that multiple people found a place cool enough to warrant a cache there. 50 feet away would be quite annoying, however, on opposite sides of a park, I can see... Some days you want to go on a big hunt, and sometimes it just feels really good to get a couple of quick finds and go home. icon_wink.gif right back at ya!

Welcome to geocaching, pdxkim. Your choice of handle and use of emoticons is quite charming. We're a good group here in portland. That's 'IMHO', as it were.

When i was new, i was deathly afraid of placing a cache right next to an existing one. To this day, i don't dare place a new cache unless i've thoroughly researched the area--and that includes doing all the nearby multi-waypoint caches just in case that 'nearest caches' function doesn't show anything close.

New caches near existing caches are fine, as long as they provide a unique experience. Sometimes that actually occurs, but usually it doesn't. If you do this long enough, you'll find yourself visiting the same park about once every 2-4 four months.

I do miss the days when my 'nearest caches' page from 97214 were in places like kelso, keizer, and kansas city instead of six new ones 4.6 miles NW, but i guess that's what happens as the game expands. It sucks, but whaddaya gonna do?

I think the best thing to do is to find caches based on other users' logs and suggestions from other cachers (which i'm sure you'll hear enough of at these gatherings that frequently occur).

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed