image with GPS info

gcstraggler

I'm trying to setup a new cache - mystery / unknown.   I have GPS services started for my smart phone camera - i.e. when I upload the image to my desktop - right click - select properties - and look at the details - I see a GPS section with coordinate information.

However when I upload that image to the cache - to be used as a reference image (to solve the puzzle) - it drops the GPS / coordinate information.

I know having the GPS info can be done - because I've gone after other caches that use images with imbedded GPS info.

But how do I get it upload the image with the GPS info intact? 

18 hours ago, arisoft said:

Try removing the _l from the image URL when you are trying to solve your mystery.

^^ Definitely try this, but...

I’m sure I read somewhere that location information is now stripped from uploaded images.  This certainly makes sense for images posted in logs (potentially, massive spoilers for puzzles, multis, etc.), but obviously a nuisance for a CO who wants the data left in as part of their puzzle.

4 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

^^ Definitely try this, but...

I’m sure I read somewhere that location information is now stripped from uploaded images.  This certainly makes sense for images posted in logs (potentially, massive spoilers for puzzles, multis, etc.), but obviously a nuisance for a CO who wants the data left in as part of their puzzle.

In the worst case you can link images from some external server. We already know that the uploading process, for example,  converts PNG to JPG etc. Anything can happen without warning.

11 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

The way the site handles EXIF data (the extra data on images that describes the type of camera used, the camera's settings, the coordinates, etc.) has flip-flopped many times over the last few years and doesn't seem to be well-documented. For images attached to logs, it kept the data for a while, then it stripped the data, then it quietly went back to keeping it again. I just checked, and it looks like it's back to stripping the data again.

As for images uploaded to cache pages you own, I just tested and that also appears to be stripping the EXIF data now. This is somewhat new, because some images I uploaded in August 2017 still have the EXIF data intact.

I assume the decision to strip EXIF data from all images by default probably stems from the many smartphone cachers, who inadvertently upload images tagged with the coordinates of a Mystery or Multi final.

Edited by The A-Team
1 hour ago, The A-Team said:

As for images uploaded to cache pages you own, I just tested and that also appears to be stripping the EXIF data now. This is somewhat new, because some images I uploaded in August 2017 still have the EXIF data intact.

On one of my puzzles, created in February this year, I have a big hint in the EXIF data, which I checked and it's still there, but it's worrying that it's now stripping it on all new uploads. I hope I never have to change anything on that image otherwise I'll have to host it elsewhere.