Missing Waypoints

Seven days ago I added 4 waypoints to a cache [not mine] on an android phone.  I was using

those waypoints as locators for placing 2 new caches at two other locations [2 wypts/loc].

Those waypoints had no effect on the real cache on GC.com!

Today I went to the cache on my phone and the waypoints are gone.

I have done this successfully before. So I'm wondering what I might have done wrong. I use

lists with offline data/map storage. I know that I had deleted one of those offline storage maps  I

also created one of them. Would either of those actions clear the waypoints I created above?

Thanks for the help

PS My android version is 6.01

Edited by geo K
8 hours ago, geo K said:

Seven days ago I added 4 waypoints to a cache [not mine] on an android phone.  I was using

those waypoints as locators for placing 2 new caches at two other locations [2 wypts/loc].

Those waypoints had no effect on the real cache on GC.com!

Today I went to the cache on my phone and the waypoints are gone.

I have done this successfully before. So I'm wondering what I might have done wrong. I use

lists with offline data/map storage. I know that I had deleted one of those offline storage maps  I

also created one of them. Would either of those actions clear the waypoints I created above?

I'm not sure I know exactly what your process was. But here's what I tried:

I added four waypoints to a cache in a list where the offline data had been downloaded.

I then deleted the "offline data", and loaded fresh offline data to the list.

Next I made a new list that contained that same cache (the one with 4 custom waypoints).

I deleted offline data from the first list, and reloaded to each of the two lists.

Then I deleted the 2nd list that had the one cache.

At each step above, the 4 waypoints remained intact, also the new instance of the cache had the same waypoints. The App remembered the waypoints when I deleted the "offline data".

I then made a list with one cache in it, a cache that I had not downloaded, and it's only in that one list. I added 4 waypoints. Then I deleted the list. Then I did a search and loaded the cache back into the App. The 4 waypoints are still there.  And I also tried closing the App after I expected all data would be gone.  The waypoints are still there when the cache is loaded.

This was done entirely on the phone. If you deleted lists using a web browser, or did things in a different way, I can test that. For now, I don't know how to lose waypoints as you describe. Maybe there's a delay after deletion. Maybe the data is purged within "7 days", after enough stuff is deleted. I don't even know where "waypoints" are saved when the cache doesn't exist on the App. But it works a lot better that I expected. :)

Edited by kunarion
On 7/8/2018 at 11:05 PM, kunarion said:

I'm not sure I know exactly what your process was. But here's what I tried:

First, let me say thank you for the effort you put into this.

But to fill you in, I no longer use a handheld GPS. I use only my phone and of course a desktop computer.

So when I create a new geocache from my phone,  I  add two waypoints that mark the location of the new cache "X"  to a nearby cache "Y".

When I get back to the computer and create the new cache "X" on GC.com, I refer to the cache "Y" that has the waypoints and

the coords. I use the coords of the closest waypoint to create geocache "X".

As a side, I also use the List feature. I create one weekly and delete it after I have used it. So this addition and removal could have occurred from my computer.

I will Check this out like you did above.

So once again thank you for your help.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:31 AM, geo K said:

First, let me say thank you for the effort you put into this.

But to fill you in, I no longer use a handheld GPS. I use only my phone and of course a desktop computer.

So when I create a new geocache from my phone,  I  add two waypoints that mark the location of the new cache "X"  to a nearby cache "Y".

When I get back to the computer and create the new cache "X" on GC.com, I refer to the cache "Y" that has the waypoints and

the coords. I use the coords of the closest waypoint to create geocache "X".

As a side, I also use the List feature. I create one weekly and delete it after I have used it. So this addition and removal could have occurred from my computer.

I will Check this out like you did above.

So once again thank you for your help.

You should look at Apps more suited to hiding caches.  "Spyglass" is basic waypoint App (look for "free GPS" in the Play Store for a list).  Locus Maps is a mapping App that does way more than Geocaching, and pretty much has "Geocaching" as an afterthought.  But if you begin to get serious with cache hiding, yet without a handheld GPS, a mapping App is handy.  You not only can save a lot of waypoints quickly, but you can measure them in relation to other waypoints and existing Geocaches (and archived caches, spots that may be available for caches).  As a bonus, these are designed for saving waypoints, so they're not prone to vanishing when Groundspeak does an update. B)

When I settle on the waypoint I will use for the cache page, I write it in the notebook I carry.  Waypoints remain there, too.

Edited by kunarion