magellan explorist gps

baggins52

2 hours ago, baggins52 said:

HI PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP IN VERY SIMPLE TERMS BEING AN OLDIE, MY GPS WAS CONNECTED TO THE COMPUTER AND SUDDENLY A GREY SCREEN WITH, FACTORY, RUN, OTHER AND HELP. HOW CAN I GET IT BACK TO NORMAL, GETTING CACHING WITHDRAWEL SYMPTOMS. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Which model of Magellan Explorist?  Is the gray screen seen on the GPS?  Is it stuck like that?

• Upvote 1

Hi I have borrowed my daughters magellen explorist gps its the green one. I go to download a cache and it says magellen plugin found, the download button light up but when clicked it won't download, I've got windows 7 and internet explorer browser, all worked fine before .Thanks Pam

27 minutes ago, baggins52 said:

Hi I have borrowed my daughters magellen explorist gps its the green one. I go to download a cache and it says magellen plugin found, the download button light up but when clicked it won't download, I've got windows 7 and internet explorer browser, all worked fine before .Thanks Pam

The plugin is not supported, and due to security issues, it has stopped working as various updates occurred.  In the last couple of years, everything has changed pretty quickly, and it's catching people by surprise.

If you click the "GPX File" button on any cache page, you don't need to have a working plugin... maybe (it's a little complicated).  Anyway, do you know someone who can show you how to place a file onto the Magellan?  Click the "GPX File" button, save that file in the Magellan's "Geocaches" folder.  Go Geocaching. :)

There is helper software for computers, some of it is free, but it would require some initial setting up, and you'd have to learn to use it.  You could then have something like a "load button" again.

You can make a "Pocket Query" filtered for just the caches you'd like to hunt, covering whole town (10 mile radius or more), and having 1000 caches to choose.  And you can load that and more Pocket Queries of other places, such as a few towns you visit.  Pocket Queries have kind of a learning curve.  Caches change or are archived over time (Pocket Queries become stale).  But once you load the thousands of caches in an area, you don't need to load new caches every day.  Visit any public place in town, start the GPS, see what's nearby.  Just an idea.

If you're good at making waypoints on the Magellan, type the coordinates for a cache or two manually into the Magellan, print the cache page (or save the page somewhere, or take good notes).  Really, that's a pretty decent option for just a cache or two, compared to trying to fix the connection between the site and a GPS.

Edited by kunarion