Geocaching at a Park

asmelle

55 minutes ago, asmelle said:

Suggestions? I wold like to introduce Geocaching at a park but it's in a remote location with minimal cell reception. Is there any way to do geocaching without paying for premium. This is for the public introducing them to the hobby. 

You could provide handheld GPS receivers that have the cache data preloaded. That's what a county parks system does for its intro geocaching classes.

I'd think "introducing" new people to the hobby, attempting to explain what's needed to use a phone offline would be a bit much for someone maybe already on the fence  playing.  "This hobby's confusing" kinda thing. 

It has to be at this "remote" park?   Using the app to find a cache in a park with reception shouldn't be too tough for many.   :)

Similar to niraD, a state park near us loans handheld GPSrs for folks to do the "tour" caches they've placed. 

Some reason I don't see finds on your profile, so couldn't figure what you're interested in either.

• Helpful 1
52 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I'd think "introducing" new people to the hobby, attempting to explain what's needed to use a phone offline would be a bit much for someone maybe already on the fence  playing.  "This hobby's confusing" kinda thing. 

Very much so. When I introduce new people to geocaching (whether through the county parks system's intro geocaching classes, or on my own), I try to ignore the technology completely. I keep everything focused on finding hidden containers in the woods, and what to do when you find them. If people decide that they enjoy that, then they can sort out the technology later (create a geocaching.com account, post logs, sort out GPS navigation, etc.).

I wonder if the OP has been mis-read?  Maybe the OP would like to start geocaching at a particular park and wants to know if they need to upgrade to premium in order to do this?  I may be wrong but just trying to fathom exactly what is being asked since the OP doesn't appear to have any finds of their own yet.

On 03/07/2018 at 7:30 PM, asmelle said:

Suggestions? I wold like to introduce Geocaching at a park but it's in a remote location with minimal cell reception. Is there any way to do geocaching without paying for premium. This is for the public introducing them to the hobby. 

I read your request as meaning you are associated with  a park, and would like to introduce caching as an activity at it.

So  my answers are first, yes , caching can be done without cell reception. I do it all the time using a GPS.

There are 'phone apps which do not require cell connection while you are out caching,  but I'm no expert on them, so someone else can better advise you there.

Second, yes, you can geocache without a premium account, again I'm not up to speed on how the various apps handle non-premium cachers. You can view caches on the website on a computer at home, then use an offline device to find them. I did that for a couple of years before I paid for a premium subscription.

However, starting from zero knowledge of caching and then getting to a position to introduce the public to it is a very steep  learning curve and will take you a lot of time and effort.  My suggestion would be to check out who is active in cache setting and perhaps cache event setting in your local area, and approach them. You may find someone who will either help you, or even place some caches, run an event, lead a caching class for you.

• Helpful 1