Any way to get coords if not listed at NGS site?

ByronForestPreserve

Hi, all. We have a new piece of property, and some historical record somewhere claims that there is a marker (brass disk) on the top of a hill. I'm somewhat new to benchmarking, but I know more than most of the other folks at work, I guess, so I was asked to find it (boss suggested a metal detector, but can't give me coords, just "on top of a hill").  I've read through the forums and did one search at the NGS site, but also downloaded their add-on to Google Earth just to double check. Nothing shows, so I am concluding that it was a survey marker planted by the USGS (??) that didn't make it into the NGS database...if it's there at all.

So...is there any way to narrow down where it might be? Mind you, my friends and I are excited to metal detect this old farmstead regardless, but I'd like to increase our chances of success for finding the marker. If any other information might help: the site has one of the highest elevations in the county, and we think we now have the largest tree in the state, so it's been undisturbed or used for cattle for at least 200 years. There is a cemetery on the edge of the property with stones back to 1830s. I also have an aerial survey from 1930, so I know where the open spaces were and where the farmhouse was just off the property line. Oh, and we can see our area's largish river from the property, but not much else that would be considered a landmark.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

What was the source of the information that a monument exists there? Any clues in that?

Does the USGS topo map show an elevation number there other than just the contour lunes?

Re: buried. An elevation mark may get slightly buried over the years but was visible when set.  A triangulation station (for lat lon) was often intentionally buried for protection but would have reference disks set nearby intended to remain visible. 

If you do find a disk check what it says.

Edited by Bill93
Add

I would go seek out the high point and see if I could stumble upon it.  I recall a few years back I was riding ATV's with some friends in an area I had never been.  We followed an old trail to the top of the hill and there was a lot bare rock outcrop.  Anyway, as we were taking in the sites I was talking about how USGS/USC&GS often placed survey markers on these high points.  So we started walking around and suddenly one of the ladies said, is this one?  Sure enough it was USC&GS/NGS Reference Mark set in 1939 in the rock ledge.  We never did find the station mark and we looked it up on the phone and found out it was not found (NGS) some 30 yrs back, only hole in outcrop remained but there was so much ground cover now we did not look for it.

Edited by Z15
  • Upvote 1