Is "virtual Wherigo" possible?

PetoG

I want to create a Wherigo cache. Before I start, I'd like to know the answer to a simple question: Is it possible to publish a Wherigo cartridge on geocaching.com without an actual physical cache on the final coordinates?

Personally, I see no reason for the physical cache. Just like an Earth cache can be logged answering some questions, the game when finished gives you a verification code, which can be used as a proof. I just wonder if that would be approved by the reviewers on geocaching.com.

HCompleto is correct in pointing out that, for a Wherigo geocache to be listed on geocaching.com, it must have a geocache component, which is a container and log book.  There isn't any getting around this because geocaching's core mechanic is in locating something specific in the world (with the obvious very limited exceptions).

You could, if you'd like, only list the cartridge on Wherigo.com without a geocache.  I share your skepticism concerning whether people will play it without a geocache.  At this time, Wherigo's user base is tied too closely to geocachers.

• Upvote 1
On 2/4/2018 at 3:08 PM, Ranger Fox said:

You could, if you'd like, only list the cartridge on Wherigo.com without a geocache.  I share your skepticism concerning whether people will play it without a geocache.  At this time, Wherigo's user base is tied too closely to geocachers.

I love geoaching and I love running and building Wherigos. But I openly admit, I am not likely to run a cartridge without the reward of a smiley. It's MY PHILOSOPHY.. so no one is obligated to like my useless opinion.

32 minutes ago, bflentje said:

I am not likely to run a cartridge without the reward of a smiley. It's MY PHILOSOPHY.. so no one is obligated to like my useless opinion.

There's not much incentive at this time to do Wherigo for its own sake.  That's why it's leaning heavily upon geocaching right now.  The only useless opinions are ones that can't be backed up by logic and examined to determine their cause.  You have a cause: you have an incrementing find count, cartridges show up on the geocaching map; therefore, you play Wherigo as part of geocaching.  That seems a valid opinion and makes sense with your objectives.  If Wherigo were more engaging and entertaining by itself, perhaps it could entice you to dabble in it just as often as people who place QR codes close to caches can get me to play that game.