Attachments in Message Center

MatthiasEBS

Yesterday I sent (or rather: tried to send) a message to another cacher using the MC and attach a photo (JPG).

After a Minute or so, the "Sending..." button was gone. But: I do not see my newly sent message on the left side. The recipient (I had some conversation with him earlier) still appears on the left side, but with the date of the previous message between the two of us. When I navigate to him, I just see the previous conversations, but not my new message. What is more strange: There is an orange "New message" ball next to his Avatar on the left side, and I get the "new message" ball next to the MC icon in the top frame all the time. This state is still the same today (I am even on a different computer now).

What is going on there? Is there a size limitation on attachments that I may have exceeded (I have not found a hint to that in the help center, though)? Anyway, I would expect an error message and not such a behaviour.

My browser is IE11 on Win7 (on both computers)

Best regards

Matthias

Edited by MatthiasEBS

Meanwhile I can verify that the weird behavior described (I would rather say: bug) was due to the attached files being too big. With downsized files, it worked.

In order to get rid of the improper "new message" balls, I just sent a new message (without photos...) to the recipient. Then I could also read my previous message that seemed to have been absorbed somewhere, and also the order of the chats on the left side got correct again.

I can't find any info regarding file size limits in the Message Center. It's unclear whether the limit via email is the same if you do it through the website or an app. The Message Center article in the Help Center doesn't even mention that you can send files. The spot I'd expect to find that information most readily would be right where you can attach the files, but there's nothing there, even about which file types are accepted.

That being said, if you do try to attach an invalid file type, you get the following message:

xxx.txt has an invalid extension. Valid extension(s): jpeg, jpg, gif, png, bmp, pdf, doc, docx.

It's strange that .doc files are accepted, but not regular old .txt files. There are also seems to be a disconnect between the messaging on the email and the website. Are jpeg, bmp, pdf, doc, and docx allowed via email too, or just through the website?

It seems like there are a lot of improvements that can be made in this area.

I watched the same problem since October 15th, 2017, when I tried to send messages with pictures attached. Several times such messages didn't reach the recipient. Only the 'Send'-button and the pictures disappear after a minute or so.

With messages without attachements there was no problem.

On October 15th, 2017 I sent the last message with an attachment. Then the picture was shown on the right side of the message center beneath the text of the message.

I think there is something wrong handling attachments.

I also use IE10 with Win7

Best regards

Thomas