Error logging trackable

Jase3gt

I picked up a trackable yesterday from a cache. The trackable is TBGR1V. It had a dog tag stamped with the number <TB number removed>. When I try to log it as picked up, I get an error message that says, "The number you entered is the public reference number for this Trackable. Please enter the private tracking number located on the Trackable itself in order to post a log." However, there are no other numbers listed on the trackable. It's a small plug with a paper tag on it and the dog tag. I can see in the log where it was dropped off in the cache last summer. The picture on the trackable page looks like what I have. Does anyone have any suggestions to log it? Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Rock Chalk
Trackable number removed by moderator
1 hour ago, Jase3gt said:

I picked up a trackable yesterday from a cache. The trackable is TBGR1V. It had a dog tag stamped with the number TBXXXXXX. When I try to log it as picked up, I get an error message that says, "The number you entered is the public reference number for this Trackable. Please enter the private tracking number located on the Trackable itself in order to post a log." However, there are no other numbers listed on the trackable. It's a small plug with a paper tag on it and the dog tag. I can see in the log where it was dropped off in the cache last summer. The picture on the trackable page looks like what I have. Does anyone have any suggestions to log it? Thanks in advance. 

You should edit out that 2nd number.  Turns out, that is the private tracking number.

"TBGR1V" is the TB's public reference number which is OK to publish, but as you know, you can't make a Retrieved log using that.

The tag is a copy of the Travel Bug Dogtag.  It's not clear exactly what happened to the original, but the owner made a replacement: https://coord.info/TLAF04P.  The owner stamped it "TB" followed by the actual tracking number.  Sometimes these things are tough to decipher!  Some Geocoins are engraved with extra text and the Tracking Number, all run together.  It does get confusing.

Anyway, log it using the metal tag's stamped number without the "TB" part.  Good luck!

Edited by kunarion
3 hours ago, kunarion said:

You should edit out that 2nd number.  Turns out, that is the private tracking number.

"TBGR1V" is the TB's public reference number which is OK to publish, but as you know, you can't make a Retrieved log using that.

The tag is a copy of the Travel Bug Dogtag.  It's not clear exactly what happened to the original, but the owner made a replacement: https://coord.info/TLAF04P.  The owner stamped it "TB" followed by the actual tracking number.  Sometimes these things are tough to decipher!  Some Geocoins are engraved with extra text and the Tracking Number, all run together.  It does get confusing.

Anyway, log it using the metal tag's stamped number without the "TB" part.  Good luck!

Thanks Kunarion. That worked without using the TB part.