accidentally found a cache - can't find its .com page

Warning for potential spoilers

Was in Half Moon Bay, CA today in a store, looking in drawers with rock specimens when I found a familiar green film canister. I signed the log and tried to find it on the map and cannot find any regular caches at the coordinates or mystery/multis that fit the description. We talked to someone working there who said it was from the store's previous owners. I am guessing it is probably a premium only cache or one that has been disabled but is somehow still in its location. Is there a way for me to log this cache online? And is it even morally acceptable to log it if so? Feel like I didn't do any of the work to find it. :laughing:

One way to figure out which cache it is, is by comparing log signatures & dates with caches online.  This is possible even if the cache was archived.

Certain Forum regulars can see if caches were ever at any given spot, if you provide at least a general location.  Do you have the coordinates?  The address?

I'm always impressed when people find a cache without any coordinates, no hint or anything.  Certainly if it's still in its original spot, I'd say it counts as a Find :cute:.  I've managed that, I think once.  The container was 50 feet from its place, archived a couple of years prior.  I signed the log book which was still inside the open, crushed ammo box.  I doubt anyone would have complained if I logged a Find online. https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCYPYD_ekabug-riffster-sittin-in-a-tree?guid=5768db0b-3840-4376-b76e-6eb8fc6f0cd8

Edited by kunarion
More info
5 hours ago, EMOSHOWDOWN said:

Warning for potential spoilers

Was in Half Moon Bay, CA today in a store, looking in drawers with rock specimens when I found a familiar green film canister. I signed the log and tried to find it on the map and cannot find any regular caches at the coordinates or mystery/multis that fit the description. We talked to someone working there who said it was from the store's previous owners. I am guessing it is probably a premium only cache or one that has been disabled but is somehow still in its location. Is there a way for me to log this cache online? And is it even morally acceptable to log it if so? Feel like I didn't do any of the work to find it. :laughing:

Looks like the cache you found was associated with an Unpublished Listing that I had to reject because of a Proximity issue.   Although I would not have been able to Publish the Listing because of the commercial aspects of the placement (i.e. inside a store).  The cache owner hasn't logged in for about 5 years now, but from the Note on the page, it sounds like she either worked at the store or owned it.  A little hard to tell.  Appropriately enough, the Title of the Listing is "Rock -n- Roll" :)

While looking for a FTF cache in another state, imagine how excited I was to find a small container only 30 feet from the posted coordinates, with a BLANK LOG. But then I saw on the top it said Letterbox. An unpublished letterbox at that, too. We never found the cache, but it was frustrating to find a container so close with a blank log!  We couldn't log either cache or letterbox online!

Edited by Max and 99