Need help with creating elemental geocaches

Mewmix

Heres what I was thinking so far

Earth - already got this figured out thanks to a really cool tree

Wind - I thought I could possibly put this on a flag but would rather have a better idea

Water - located in the ponds in my area and underwater but no idea what kind of string to use

Fire - firehall, hydrant, fire alarm, fire warning sign

Heart - researching what is considered the heart of the city im in

Wind - I thought I could possibly put this on a flag but would rather have a better idea
I've seen caches that were on/near wind chimes or pinwheel-like public sculptures.

Water - located in the ponds in my area and underwater but no idea what kind of string to use
I've seen three basic approaches to water caches:
  • put it underwater and expect everything to get soaked (e.g., use a diver slate as the log)
  • put it underwater and try to keep it dry (e.g., nesting multiple waterproof containers)
  • put the first stage of a multi-cache underwater, with a waterproof tag that gives the coordinates for a final stage that is on dry ground

And I've heard that there are fishing lines (other than the cheap mono-filament fishing line) that work well, but I don't know much about them.

Fire - firehall, hydrant, fire alarm, fire warning sign
Around here, there are redwood trees that have been hollowed out by forest fires, but which are still alive. They're huge hollow trees that are charred on the inside. Maybe there's something similar near you.

I'd be wary of putting caches on hydrants, alarms, hoses, extinguishers and suchlike. I don't know about where you are but over here (Australia) you can get stiff fines for tampering with safety equipment. Plus you don't want to do anything that could obstruct their access or use in an actual emergency. niraD's idea about burned out trees could definitely work though!

As to Heart, well it could be a heart-shaped cache or a cache decorated with hearts or anything like that. ^^

We were scolded once by a wiccan cacher we know, when the other 2/3rds mentioned "heart" as an elemental.

- Turns out that's a gamer thing, like warcraft. :lol:

Earth - you already have figured out.

Wind - could be located near one of those huge wind turbines.

- Most of ours are located near game lands, property available for caching.

Water - Similar to niraD, a multi stage, but I'd use a river rock or similar with coordinates engraved/painted on it.

Fire - Not located near a long-inactive volcano? :)

The Eternal Flame Falls Earthcache would have been perfect too...

If you know of a fireman who caches, I could see placing a hide near the station, but no where near a hydrant or alarm.

We want to remain safe from curses, and not getting involved in the heart in this matter. :D