Pocket Query Date Limitation

GlobalRat

Pocket Query function to search for caches on Place During is limited with a start date that can not be earlier than 01/01/2000.

This all makes sense considering that Geocaching only commenced in 2000.

I see however that Placed Date in a Cache listing is not limited and one can place a cache with a place date as early as 01/01/100. I personally don't agree with this but seems there are numerous caches around the world that have placed dates pre 2000. These caches aren't picked up by PQ's relying on the date function which seems to be the only reliable way to manage a database of caches for a region.

Surely the two date functions should be consistent?

Perhaps publish date should become a selectable field?

Thoughts.

Edited by GlobalRat

The current cache report form, CSP, limits back dating of new physical caches to one year (and one day forward, I assume for international date line issues). I'd like to see the edit form act the same way. (The current iteration of the edit form allows 01/01/1900 back dating, not 01/01/100.)

My feature request would be to fix the back dating issue on the edit form to match the CSP. One year back dating only.

Caches older than late July, 2005 have no publish logs. Because this is true, I think publish date as PQ field is unlikely. It would cause issues for unknowing cachers (just about everybody around now) - thread after thread after thread in these forums, whining about not getting all the caches....

You can use search to see pre-May 2000 (false) dated caches. A few years back there were 8 - now there are 18.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

The current cache report form, CSP, limits back dating of new physical caches to one year (and one day forward, I assume for international date line issues). I'd like to see the edit form act the same way. (The current iteration of the edit form allows 01/01/1900 back dating, not 01/01/100.)

While I didn't save the change, I could change the placed date on one of my caches to 01/01/100 and it accepted it but wouldn't save, produced an error. I then changed one of my caches to 01/01/1900 and this was accepted and changed. I then tried the 1800's and this produced a server error. so you're right.

Caches older than late July, 2005 have no publish logs. Because this is true, I think publish date as PQ field is unlikely. It would cause issues for unknowing cachers (just about everybody around now) - thread after thread after thread in these forums, whining about not getting all the caches....

Hmmm yes, I see the problem.

You can use search to see pre-May 2000 (false) dated caches. A few years back there were 8 - now there are 18.

How? Online search doesn't have a date filter and PQ will not allow search prior to 01/01/2000

Worked in the quiet hours, thanks :anitongue:

Currently 19.

I suspect over time this number is going to increase. With the current focus on statistical caching and filling blocks in matrices, no doubt someone will come up with some challenge and there will be a rash of placements with fake place dates... Oh wait there already are.... Just not that pre-dated....... Yet! <_<

Edited by GlobalRat

I've seen some date related project-gc checkers with a list of excluded GC Codes in the config file, so for challenge purposes, at least some script writers are keeping track of these.

Yep, I guess all one can do is notify the challenge cache owners to update their scripts

• Upvote 1

I was just wondering, why some caches in our neigborhood are still not displayed in my Garmin Device (e.g. GC5KW65)

Seems to be an error in the geocaching Pocket query or cache publishing design.

Creating a pocket query should at least allow to enter a "from" date earlier than 01.01.2000

I am not sure what Groundspeak is heading for. They do not allow new API Access but they also do not fix this error.

happy hunting

Udo

14 hours ago, Die C-SAU Bande said:

Seems to be an error in the geocaching Pocket query or cache publishing design.

Creating a pocket query should at least allow to enter a "from" date earlier than 01.01.2000

The real error is with the COs that have used fake dates on their listings. If they used appropriate dates, there wouldn't be a problem.

I am not sure what Groundspeak is heading for. They do not allow new API Access but they also do not fix this error.

IMO, HQ should indeed "fix this error"... by editing the dates on all of the problematic listings to remove the problem. Or at least give the COs a warning to change the dates on their own, and then force the change for those who don't respond.

• Upvote 4
14 hours ago, The A-Team said:

The real error is with the COs that have used fake dates on their listings. If they used appropriate dates, there wouldn't be a problem.

Respectfully disagree.

The real issues is that Groundspeak does not allow a "published date" search in the PQ.  The API (e.g. GSAK) does.

If you are recording and making a distinction between when the cache was placed and when it was published, then there is a valid reason to have both fields.  One controlled by the cache owner and the other controlled by programming.

In addition to recording when the cache was physically placed, some cache owners will use this as information required to solve a puzzle or as a hint in solving a puzzle.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:08 AM, badlands said:

The real issues is that Groundspeak does not allow a "published date" search in the PQ.

That has nothing to do with the issue being discussed here. Regardless of whether we're talking about a placed date or published date, no date earlier than May 3, 2000 makes sense on a geocache listing.

1 hour ago, The A-Team said:

no date earlier than May 3, 2000 makes sense on a geocache listing.

Is the "Date Placed" field significantly different that the "Description" field on the cache listing.  It's just a field where a user can enter what ever they like.

On 5/11/2018 at 9:08 AM, badlands said:

The real issues is that Groundspeak does not allow a "published date" search in the PQ.

I stand by my statement.

That has nothing to do with the issue being discussed here.