Delorme PN60-Unable to "send to GPS"

Vikings3

Everyone-

I have been out of Geocaching for a couple of years. In the meantime I have purchased a new computer and of course am now having trouble getting caches to download to my Delorme PN60. When I choose Delorme "Help" on the send to GPS function it ask's me to login to Garmin/Delorme...If I had a login before, it no longer is valid (I dont think I did). All combo's of User/Password that I would use of course are not valid.

Here are the basics of what I have tried:

1) Using Firefox as this is the Browser Delorme seems to be supported on.

2) Using "Add on's" in Mozilla Firefox insured "send to GPS" is "Always activated"

3) Yes, I restarted Firefox (a couple of times lol!)

I am getting a bit worried the pn60 is just too old for support anymore. Any hints/tricks I haven't tried???

Thanks-

Vikings3

Everyone-

I have been out of Geocaching for a couple of years. In the meantime I have purchased a new computer and of course am now having trouble getting caches to download to my Delorme PN60. When I choose Delorme "Help" on the send to GPS function it ask's me to login to Garmin/Delorme...If I had a login before, it no longer is valid (I dont think I did). All combo's of User/Password that I would use of course are not valid.

Here are the basics of what I have tried:

1) Using Firefox as this is the Browser Delorme seems to be supported on.

2) Using "Add on's" in Mozilla Firefox insured "send to GPS" is "Always activated"

3) Yes, I restarted Firefox (a couple of times lol!)

I am getting a bit worried the pn60 is just too old for support anymore. Any hints/tricks I haven't tried???

Thanks-

Vikings3

You are probably out of luck. The "send to GPS" function will no longer work with Firefox, period. And Delorme has not updated the software in years so other browsers will probably not run it because it's unsafe.

The PN-60 will do GPX files just fine, though, so I recommend a combination of PQs and GSAK.

I don't recall ever being able to load my DeLorme with the "send to gps" feature - though I readily concede possible user error on my end.

As Fizzy has suggested, Pocket Queries, download to GSAK, then to gps.

GSAK has both cost and a learning curve, but if you're caching much, I'd say worth both.

Also IF you still have it, the disc that came with the DeLorme has its own software, it will take PQs and load the device.

I found it incredibly kludgy and ill-designed for geocaching, so used it only for loading DeLorme map sets.

I don't recall ever being able to load my DeLorme with the "send to gps" feature - though I readily concede possible user error on my end.

I used the send-to-GPS function a few times, so it used to work, but I didn't realize it was AWOL for about a year after it stopped working. The one thing I really appreciated it for was to send caches I was developing but hadn't published since they don't show up in PQs.

As Fizzy has suggested, Pocket Queries, download to GSAK, then to gps.

GSAK has both cost and a learning curve, but if you're caching much, I'd say worth both.

You don't need any tool. The PQs are just zip files, so just take the .gpx file out of the .zip file and copy it to the PN-60's "waypoints" directory. GSAK can do some extra stuff for you, but it's not essential.

What is essential, though, is to have updated firmware, since the feature that lets the PN-60 present a disk on your PC was added "only" 5 or 6 years ago, so do update to the latest which, as I recall, came out in 2013. You can find it on the web easily enough, although I don't remember if they dish it up from the old delorme.com site or from a garmin site these days.

Also IF you still have it, the disc that came with the DeLorme has its own software, it will take PQs and load the device.

I found it incredibly kludgy and ill-designed for geocaching, so used it only for loading DeLorme map sets.

I figured out how to load maps without the DeLorme software, so I avoided using it even for that. But you're right that it can help put the PQs on the device if you can figure out how to use it, but I'd only use it as a last resort. I hesitate to mention it, but one case where it might be useful is if you can't get the PN-60's firmware updated.

A pocket query contains two different .gpx files, one for geocaches and a second one for any waypoints, so the one thing GSAK or the DeLorme software will do for you is combine them so you have both the geocaches and the geocaches' waypoints at the same time. I have my own way to combine them, but I use waypoints so rarely, I'm not sure I'd worry about not having them if I had to use just the raw files from the PQ.