First time cache placer.

JMayBenac

I am wanting to place a cache on a us mailbox that's located at a strip mall in my town,who and where do I go to get permission to do this if any is needed at all?

Many, many, many caches have drawn the attention of bomb squads. Many have been blown up by bomb squads.

Putting a cache on a postal box, and having cachers attracting the attention of a lot of folks who don't know what they are doing and look "suspicious".....not a good idea, eh?

https://wiki.Groundspeak.com/display/GEO/Michigan#Michigan-10.RestrictedAreas:

Bad Ideas:

The following places have historically been bad ideas for cache hides.

- At Post Offices - postal areas are very sensitive due to problems with letter contents, and it's illegal to hide on on a postal box.

Guidelines:

https://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

6. Geocaches are not placed in restricted, prohibited or otherwise inappropriate locations.

Additional regulations and laws that apply only to your country and region may further restrict cache placement. A cache may be disabled or archived if one or more of the following is true. Please note that the list is not exhaustive; there are many reasons why a cache may be disabled or archived.

1. If your cache is reported by the land owner or land manager as being an unwanted intrusion, Groundspeak will respect the wishes of the land owner or manager.

2. The cache placement is in an area that is highly sensitive to additional foot and/or vehicular traffic including, but not limited to, archaeological sites, historical sites and cemeteries. Note that some cemeteries permit cache placement.

3. The cache is on property belonging to a railroad. In the United States we generally require a distance of 150 ft (46 m) from active tracks. Local laws may vary.

4. The cache is problematic due to its proximity to a public structure, including and not limited to, highway bridges, major roadways, dams, government buildings, schools, military installations, hospitals, airports and other such locations.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

When you fill in a new cache report, you'll be linked to this site's listing guidelines. The first sentence has a link the landing page of the Regional Geocaching Policies Wiki.

(Seems a bit backwards that these two resources are generally only seen by hiders AFTER they've already hidden their cache. It's rather hard to come up with a link to the guidelines from Geocaching.com. I did find one on the Geocaching 101 page: Hiding Geocaches - > How do I hide a geocache?)