Newbie thought... cool idea or already common?

Sparrowhawk

I am curious... I wanna just take one item which is guraranteed to be very, very cool, go hide it in some equally cool place, and post here with the message " GeoGift Alert! Go get it!" icon_smile.gif

The idea of a GeoGift is a cache that is MEANT to expire as soon as the geogift is found. It would make a kind of a race to see who finds it and gets the very-cool-thing first!

Also part of the idea of the geogift would be to locate the thing in an truly unusual and very-cool location... so that thems who don't get the physical gift get the visual gift of a lovely or just-plain-neat place to discover. icon_smile.gif

I'd post my notice of the geogift here rather in the cache pages, because of it's deliberate temporary nature.

As they used to say in MST3K: "What do you think, sirs?"

-Elana icon_smile.gif

"Defenestrate XP!"

I know that there have been other threads on this topic, but more along the lines of posting "virtual" caches with a temporary nature. The biggest concern was how to let people know once the "gift" was gone, but you've already stated that the real gift would be the view that one gets by visiting. It sounds like you're proposing a virtual cache with an added bonus for the first finder icon_smile.gif. As active as the crew around here is though, I doubt I have any chance of getting it though... blast my 8-5 m-f job!!!

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again..." Mt. 13:44

Team Joyson said:

"I know that there have been other threads on this topic, but more along the lines of posting "virtual" caches with a temporary nature. The biggest concern was how to let people know once the "gift" was gone, but you've already stated that the real gift would be the view that one gets by visiting. It sounds like you're proposing a virtual cache with an added bonus for the first finder."

You're kidding... me - only in my second week of geocaching - actually came up with something new for you guys??

THIS is too cool! icon_smile.gif

While thinking about this, I was wondering how to alert wandering folks that the geogift has been found... OR how to alert the first finder that yeah, they are the first.

To deal with this, I came up with something that I hope is cool.

I may place a ribbon gift bow at eye level in a semi-obvious place near the hidden geogift. The first finder finds the bow and knows they are the lucky one. They take the bow and find the gift - and get to post their bragging rights on the site.

Subsequent finders - hey no semi-obvious bow, don't bother looking, just enjoy the location. icon_smile.gif

If/when I do this (and I already have a too-cool location in mind) I will let you know. If a virtual cache deal already exists on this site (me still a beginner, remember) then I will post it there.

If geogifts become a tradition, they need to have a ribbon-bow icon, methinks! icon_smile.gif

-Elana

"Defenestrate XP!"

I kinda had a similar idea last year, but never acted on it...

My idea was for the winter holidays. I was going to make up a bunch of Yule logs and hide them, and post the coordinates here. They would be a holiday gift from me to other Geocachers. I would have told people to only take one if they actually had a fireplace, and to burn it on the Winter solstice.

It kind of follows the old tradition of hiding and seeking the Yule log, which you rarely see anymore.

I say go for it!

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45 30.ish

W 122 58.ish

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

Might have a hard time getting posted

True... But would admin or Groundspeak have problems/concerns/issues with people posting one-time only gifts here in the forums, and not making them a 'real' cache?

I would hope they wouldn't icon_biggrin.gif

-fractal