Updated coordinates

Dhjh

I'm really confused about how to use updated/corrected coordinates. I have tried entering the given coordinates into gps app and I get an error message, saying the coordinates are incorrect. Can someone walk me through this? What's the easiest way to deal with updated coordinates? I have difficulty with transferring long strings of numbers.

Where are you getting the coordinates? Which App are you using?

Here's a Help Center page that describes some of the coordinate formats:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=811

You'll need to type the exact same coordinate format that the App requires. In the Official Geocaching App and on the Geocaching.com web site, and by default on a Garmin GPS receiver, you use a format that's called "HDD MM.mmm", which is latitude and longitude, degrees, decimal minutes, and looks like this:

29c5c173-9800-4c19-8bfa-011a2eae6e1d.jpg

Note the specific symbols for lat/lon, degrees and minutes such as "N 33° 25.754 W 084° 27.125". Although you usually don't type all the symbols (such as the degrees symbol) the coordinates must be exactly the same format that the App uses. You cannot simply type any coordinate format into the block.

If you solve a cache puzzle, you may get some other numbers (for example, 33.429233 -84.452083 which are coords for the example cache above but in "Decimal Degrees"), and you convert that. On Google, search for "convert GPS coordinates". I've saved several web favorites for conversions, depending on what I'm trying to do. This one's pretty good:

http://boulter.com/gps/

Edited by kunarion