Quick Federal Way Caches

MattandLaura

i have a business trip up in Federal Way, Wa. in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone can recommend a couple of quick caches I could do while there. My classes get out at 5pm so I figure I have a couple of hours each night to do 1 or 2. I will be driving up from Portland so I will have a vehicle and will be staying at the Best Western Executel at 31611 20th Avenue South, Federal Way, Wa..

geosigbuscard.jpg

[This message was edited by MattandLaura on April 08, 2002 at 03:59 PM.]

There are quite a few caches in the FW area, most of them are quick ones.

I would hit "Lets do the Time Warp Again", that one will take an hour, but worth it. icon_smile.gif

"Dash Cache" and "NopiSoki Salt Water Stash" are both hidden in really nice parks on the water.

Take the road less traveled

There are quite a few caches in the FW area, most of them are quick ones.

I would hit "Lets do the Time Warp Again", that one will take an hour, but worth it. icon_smile.gif

"Dash Cache" and "NopiSoki Salt Water Stash" are both hidden in really nice parks on the water.

Take the road less traveled

I work in Federal Way, and have hit every cache within a half hour drive (with one hour lunch breaks, that's the limiting radius, if I hunt fast.)

My first cache ever was ''Somewhere Over the Rainbow,'' which is within 450 feet of my desk. It's a challenge, because the tree cover is thick, and I suspect the coordinates may be off a bit.

Hit ''Bronze Deer'' and ''Aurburn Lookout''; the view of Mt. Rainier is a wonderful bonus. As long as you're there, hit ''Seekers Seek Blue Heron's,'' which is notable for being a rose petal dumping ground (don't ask... I don't know either.)

As long as you're in the area, hit ''S-squared - do not open under penalty of law'' (neat cache container -- bring a screwdriver) and ''Seekers Dog Walk'' (you can get to it and back in under 5 minutes from your car).

If you want quality over quantity, definitely hit Hazard's ''Let's do the Time Warp Again,'' especially if the weather's nice (and DON'T CHEAT on it!). Also, if CameraThyme and DDog-n-Ma have ''Before and After'' back up and running by then, the first waypoint in itself is worth the hunt (and the second one will take you longer than you'd think!)

There's plenty of others within half an hour. If you want to hit as many as you can, I'd go in this order:

Leave the hotel and hit ''S-Squared''. Use all the hints you can find and get ''Rainbow''. Go get ''Dog Walk,'' then head down the hill and get ''Deer,'' ''Aurburn,'' and ''Heron's.'' Head back up the hill and hit ''Pre-Roundup One.'' Then head down to the sound and catch ''Ravine Rave'' and ''Dash Cache.'' ''Points of Interest'' is a great one, but it's a somewhat challenging multi that will take a little time.

(In my half hour jaunts from very close to your hotel, I've gotten as far east as ''Flaming Gas,'' as far north as ''ClarkPark,'' west to ''Points of Interest,'' and south to ''Pre-Roundup'' (although you could probably make it to ''Blair Witch Woods'' in Tacoma. If you do, let us know when, and we'll watch you on the web cam).

WLL/WY?

Your classes get out at 5pm? Keep in mind that if it's during the week, you have to deal with the rush hour traffic!

I've only done two or three in Federal Way, but "NopiSoki Saltwater Stash" was my favorite.

The best advice I have in my VERY limited knowledge of Federal Way is to stay away from that Korean food restaurant across the parking lot from your hotel.

But all in all, I think you'll have fun caching in greater Seattle. I've done it twice now, and both times it was like waking up in a larger version of Beaverton with 20 new caches to do.

Don't forget to show your ODL to everyone so you don't have to pay sales tax!

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

Rush hour isn't so bad in Federal Way, if you stay off of I-5 and/or 320th. With the ''hit as many as you can'' path I suggested above, you should be late enough that you won't hit the highway 18 traffic on the way back up the hill, unless you're *really* fast.

And knowing what I know now, you'll definitely not want to miss ''Seekers Dog Walk''.

WY icon_smile.gif

Rush hour isn't so bad in Federal Way, if you stay off of I-5 and/or 320th. With the ''hit as many as you can'' path I suggested above, you should be late enough that you won't hit the highway 18 traffic on the way back up the hill, unless you're *really* fast.

And knowing what I know now, you'll definitely not want to miss ''Seekers Dog Walk''.

WY icon_smile.gif

from where you're staying, you can get a dozen in a few nights probably, especially with how light it stays in daylight savings time.

In Federal Way, I liked the following, which are in order of distance from where I live (about 3 miles west of where you're staying)

- S-squared (bring the screwdriver)

- Ravine Rave is a great hike to the cache, and if you have time, walk to the tidal beach from where you start out (my favorite location in FW by far)

- Rainbow is in Celebration Park's trails, if you want a good hike don't go into the trails via the closest entry to the cache

- Dog Walk is very easy, almost too easy

- Time Warp was very entertaining, nice walk along the waterfront, good restaraunt if you like seafood

- Pre-Roundup One is in a beautiful lake-side park

- Bronze Deer and Auburn Lookout have a great view of the valley and Mt. Ranier

Points of Interest takes about an hour, but has great views of the Puget Sound from multiple locations....also has a great seafood restaraunt near the second stop (tough clues though, I'm still trying to figure out if I have the second one answered right).

For what it's worth, I did Bronze Deer, Auburn Lookout, and Pre-roundupOne in 40 minutes this afternoon. You could do Rainbow or S-squared at lunch probably

quote:
Originally posted by vds:

Points of Interest takes about an hour, but has great views of the Puget Sound from multiple locations....also has a great seafood restaraunt near the second stop (tough clues though, I'm still trying to figure out if I have the second one answered right).

VDS, thanks for mentioning this cache. Let me know how you are progressing. I bet a fisherman was in the way. icon_biggrin.gif

As for other Fedway caches.. it looks like everyone beat me to the punch. I would do what they suggested. You will have a great time.

Want a great (but weird) drink? The place is called something like "Bubble Time". Its an Asian drink place that has a wonderful selection of "bubble teas" YUM! Its weird at first (there is tapioca at the bottom icon_eek.gif) but they are surprisingly addicting. Its right by RedRobin and TonyRoma's, but accross the street in a strip mall. Have fun up there

quote:
Originally posted by vds:

VDS, thanks for mentioning this cache. Let me know how you are progressing. I bet a fisherman was in the way. icon_biggrin.gif

As for other Fedway caches.. it looks like everyone beat me to the punch. I would do what they suggested. You will have a great time.

Want a great (but weird) drink? The place is called something like "Bubble Time". Its an Asian drink place that has a wonderful selection of "bubble teas" YUM! Its weird at first (there is tapioca at the bottom icon_eek.gif) but they are surprisingly addicting. Its right by RedRobin and TonyRoma's, but accross the street in a strip mall. Have fun up there