Can I make a large change to one of my existing Geocaches?

Bigwill1999

I'm about to hide my first geocache, and it's going to be in a great location for both a plain old small cache hanging from a tree as well as a more creative cache in a slightly different area. I guess you could say it is sort of a claim, a temporary hold until I get the more advanced cache made. My question is that, once I do, is it possible to change the cache coordinates/description+hint of one of my own geocaches? :huh:

I guess you could say it is sort of a claim, a temporary hold until I get the more advanced cache made

Write up the cache that's the "more advanced" cache. Add a detailed Reviewer note, explaining that the cache creation is going to take X amount of time.

Do NOT submit this.

You've claimed the spot with the listing, provided that your future plans are documented.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=460

"If you are working on a complex geocache or are waiting on permission for your geocache placement, communicate your progress by posting regular reviewer notes to unsubmitted listings."

My question is that, once I do, is it possible to change the cache coordinates/description+hint of one of my own geocaches?

You can update coords up to about 528ft (161m). This is done by log - and those logs go to area reviewers. Changing the coords may put you in trouble with regard to existing caches.

You can edit all of the text on a cache page, including the hint and title, you can change the cache size, D/T ratings. The only thing you cannot alter is the cache type.

That said, if you know you're planning a major change, I suggest that you simply wait til that's ready.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I wouldn't. Once you place the first cache people are going to find it. Those same people aren't going to check the caches they've found to see if the caches have changed. So you'd just be depriving them the chance of finding the better cache.

You can make changes, new container if the original breaks. If the tree gets cut down, move it to the next tree. Things like that. But large changes like you're planning is a totally different cache/experience, and, for reasons ive already mentioned,nunfair to those who've already found it.