Time to place my first cache? Thought I found a misplaced or thrown down cache. Passing by caches you have found.

Topic 1:

First I am still reading/studying/understanding the rules and guidelines for placing cache's of my own, IE: becoming a cache owner. Once I have a clear understanding I think I will be ready to do so. That said I have picked some great spots to place caches. They are all along my bicycle commute route I take to work every day. Just today I saw yet another spot for a cache hide. But who determines if a newbie cacher is ready? The individual geocacher? The reviewer I would contact in my local area to determine if my cache hiding spot is OK or good to go on hiding a cache there?

Topic 2:

First and for the record I did find the cache, signed the log and logged it online. It was hanging in a tree from a branch and appeared to be in the correct location. This area has a small grove of various types of trees, from Cottonwood's to Spruce and Pine. As I was searching for the cache I started to think it was misplaced or just thrown on the ground. I first saw on the ground under a tree what looked like a threaded cap to what could be a cache container, under another tree I saw an open small Pringle's can with paper in it. I checked it and did not appear to be a cache log. At yet another tree was green nylon string tied around it that had been either broken or cut, on the ground under this tree was a piece of cheap costume jewelry and sitting on a cut off section of the trunk were two pennies. At first I thought this was the cache. I picked up the jewelry and pennies and kept looking for what might be the container. When I finally found the actual cache container in a different tree and opened it to retrieve the log I realized there may be a possibility the pennies and jewelry might have been swag from in the container even though I found them 20' away at another tree. Even if they are not meant as swag I put them in the pill container as swag, all that was in the container before was just the log but there is plenty of room for the swag items. Even if there were no swag items in the container there are now. There are no other caches at this location according to geocaching.com. At first I thought I found a misplaced cache or one that was thrown on the ground. As far as the trash and litter were concerned, I saw a group who are serving community service for breaking the law picking up trash and litter on the right of way making their way toward me. I gathered all of the litter out from under the trees and placed in a pile for them to grab and place in the large, orange trash bags they use.

Topic 3:

When ever you pass by a cache you have found and logged and you see others near it who are not searching for it do you ever think if only they knew what is near them? If you see someone sitting on a bench where a cache is hidden in the frame do you ever think they same I wonder if they have found the cache that I did? Or if you are passing by and another person is with you who does not participate in geocaching do you ever think I know something they do not? I have to admit I have been thinking this as I pass by the geocache's I have found and logged.

Topic 1 - the more caches you find, the more you will be able to recognise whether your idea of a good cache and hiding location is actually good or not. With just nine finds, some people will say that you haven't found enough. However, there are no actual rules about having to have a certain number of finds and it seems to me that you are doing your research, educating yourself, and being open to help, feedback and guidance, so go for it.

Work closely with your reviewer. They are very experienced and invested in the game. Take advantage of their knowledge, learn from them and you will be a great cache owner.

This discussion would quickly get very confusing if there were three overlapping discussions, so it would be better to focus on one and split the others out into separate discussions. I'll focus on the first one for now.

9 finds isn't a lot. However, if those 9 caches were all of varying styles in varying types of locations, then it might be enough. IMO, you need to find enough caches that you start to form opinions about what makes one cache better than others, which you can then use as guidance in creating a cache that fits your definition of "good". How many caches it takes will vary, but the more finds of various styles, the better.

If you feel you're ready, start out with just one cache. There's no need to go overboard right at the beginning. Hide just one and use it as a learning experience to make sure you understand what goes into hiding a cache and the responsibilities of owning and maintaining a cache. If things go well with that cache, then you could think about hiding more.

Should I split this into three separate discussions? I can still edit it.

I would leave the topic be at this point.

Topic 1: As has been pointed out, the more caches you find, the more experience you'll get on what makes a good cache and a good cache location. My concern would be that you could get very discouraged by putting out a hastily placed cache. My advice? Find a few more caches, attend a couple of Events, and get to know the Community of cachers in your area. It will be much more fulfilling for you, when you get your first FTF on your first cache and you can say, Hey! I met that person at the so and so Event. How cool is that?

Topic 2: I don't see an actual question, but thank you for practicing CITO when you go out caching B)

Topic 3: Interesting observation. Thanks for sharing.

Hide just one and use it as a learning experience to make sure you understand what goes into hiding a cache and the responsibilities of owning and maintaining a cache. If things go well with that cache, then you could think about hiding more.

Very good advice.

Topic 2: Chances are that those things weren't originally part of the cache. It's amazing where young teens can go to hang out! (Or older teens, or drug addicts, or the homeless, or...)

Topic 3: Yeah, I've had those thoughts! I often drive or cycle by a place and think, "There's a cache over there!" :)

Topic 2: Chances are that those things weren't originally part of the cache. It's amazing where young teens can go to hang out! (Or older teens, or drug addicts, or the homeless, or...)

Topic 3: Yeah, I've had those thoughts! I often drive or cycle by a place and think, "There's a cache over there!" :)

Topic 2: The area in question is right along one of the multi-use recreation trails and is popular with the transient population in the community.