Perfect Background Image Size?

JAKSolantern

What is the perfect size for an image, in pixels, so when it is put in the box for a background image, the picture will appear evenly on both sides of the page?

There is no such size. People open different window sizes in browsers and I I am pretty sure that the central portion of the cache page format (which is the part that would cover your background) is a fixed pixel width.

What is the perfect size for an image, in pixels, so when it is put in the box for a background image, the picture will appear evenly on both sides of the page?
There is no such size. People open different window sizes in browsers and I I am pretty sure that the central portion of the cache page format (which is the part that would cover your background) is a fixed pixel width.
+1

The background image is positioned relative to the left edge of the window. The content section of the page is centered, and a fixed pixel width. There is no way to get an image to appear evenly on both sides of the content area, because you don't have the ability to center the background image.

If you could center the background image, then you could make it the width of the content area, and then a new repetition of the image would appear on either side of the content area. But you can't, so you can't.

Well thanks for trying to help at least. Seems like it should be easily do-able to tile an image on both sides of the border but I guess I'll chalk it up to one of GC.com weird eccentricities.... A seamless background won't work. I have a specific image.

Are you talking about something like this?

I'm not sure what "this" is. When I look at that listing, I see the expected issue where the amount of the image on either side of the page varies depending on the size of my window. The limitations of this site simply don't allow you to have a background image that predictably shows the same amount of the image on either side of the page for any user on any device.

On my cache pages, I place a green square to tile and make a kind of border to highlight the cache description. It makes the page look a little less bare in extra large browser windows. Like this: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4K32W_perry-creek

But the cache page fills the screen on iPad and Android web browsers. No background is shown.

Edited by kunarion