Anyway to parse a list of geocaches to see if a user has found the whole list?

Intrepid Dyad

I was thinking of setting up a geotrail, but i never liked the idea of a physical passport for a game that you find everything else via virtual logs essentially. So I was hoping to make a geotrail using a webform instead. I would like to upon submission, have the form check the code words of course, but also check the users geocaching name against the geotrail caches to make sure they actually logged them. this is just a secondary step to help prevent cheaters. (though of course it still is not fool proof, only way to make sure a cacher visited a cache as always is to check the physical log) but i figured this would prevent people from simply sharing a list of the code words.

I would need a way to take a users geocaching name and test it somehow (API.....if they didn't shut it off :/) and then return a value or values (yes, no, then perhaps error codes....for stating which caches they failed and other various error return states)

Any feedback would be great. I would love for something simple a webform can handle using some sort of online tool i can request this info from, but if not possible and i need some web server to check against a saves list of logs for the geocaches, then so be it.....it would not be my first time setting up a server for simple task like this.

I assume the unwritten assumption underlying your question is that you're planning to gift finders of all caches with something.

You can simply tell people to email you for the "whatever", when they've completed the series. This can go right on the listing(s), as long as what you're giving away isn't coords for a published cache, but is an OPTIONAL gift.

I'd personally spend zero time worrying about people asking for gift who haven't actually completed the series.

Though a person could put the series in a GSAK database, and keep updating logs through the API. This would allow you to use the search within GSAK for logs by USERNAME.

And you can use Search on this site. Assume all caches in the series start with, "MY SERIES PREFIX..",

go to search, add filters, Keyword, "MY SERIES PREFIX", Not Found By - USERNAME you're checking, in State.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I think that would be considered an 'additional logging requirement', and not be allowed, although I personally think it a good idea....

it's an optional gift, not required to log a find by any means.....i mean all geotrails make you fill out some other form (usually printed though) for getting the optional gifts. I'm rather sure this is allowed.

I assume the unwritten assumption underlying your question is that you're planning to gift finders of all caches with something.

You can simply tell people to email you for the "whatever", when they've completed the series. This can go right on the listing(s), as long as what you're giving away isn't coords for a published cache, but is an OPTIONAL gift.

I'd personally spend zero time worrying about people asking for gift who haven't actually completed the series.

Though a person could put the series in a GSAK database, and keep updating logs through the API. This would allow you to use the search within GSAK for logs by USERNAME.

And you can use Search on this site. Assume all caches in the series start with, "MY SERIES PREFIX..",

go to search, add filters, Keyword, "MY SERIES PREFIX", Not Found By - USERNAME you're checking, in State.

my main goal is to have a web form check everyone entries for me, and i just get an email in my inbox for every person i need to send a coin to. I don't want to do anything manually. except set up any database and web form i need.

Now with a GSAK database......I did not think about this is a versatile tool that has API access....which is what i really needed. Hopefully GSAK has some abilities to be parsed or to output an constantly updating file that can be parsed. I will have to look into this. or better yet if i can set up GSAK to listen in wait for a single username and will parse just the single username against the API directly and not a updating list, i then will not even need to have an updating list.....but i kinda have doubts GSAK can do this, but it also has a tone of plugins, so maybe i can have it work out in the end.