Reading the compass on an etrex 10 (noob question)

twostrokeking22

I just bought a Garmin Etrex 10 and so far it seems like a nice unit. However I'm so confused on how to use it. I've got most of it down but the compass part doesn't make sense. For instance, when I go to navigate to the geocache, what is the line at the top of the compass ? And does the compass point me where I need to go or where I'm heading. Am i supposed to match the compass point to the line ? Sorry I know it's dumb but I have no experience with this. So frustrating

I understand the frustration -- I like and use an eTrex an the manuals are far from perfect. I am not sure what you're referring to when you describe a line at the top of the compass, but when you have a geocache selected to navigate toward and you're using the compass screen, the compass should point toward the cache. You can customize, to some extent, what information the compass screen displays, but it should include the distance to the cache in one of the fields -- that way the compass points you where you need to go, and the distance will decrease as you get nearer to it.