Why did you got started

elkbugle

quote:
Originally posted by elkbugle:

Why did you get started in Geocaching? This pole will be used for a newspaper article. Thank you.r

A few comments:

1. You don't have near enough choices. There are so many reasons for getting involved that it may be better to just ask, and then summerize the results on your own. I have several reasons for getting involved, but I responded to the only one you listed.

2. What newspaper will the article be in?

3. If you want more responses, there are threads relating to this subject in the General forums. Do a subject search of all the forums.

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

I also started geocaching for a number of reasons that are not listed among your choices. It is a very individual-oriented sport/activity. Mainly it is a way for me to spend time outdoors with my daughter and to teach her outdoor skills, while keeping it exciting through the "treasure hunt" element. I also go geocaching on my own, to the more difficult ones, as a way of staying in shape and getting away from it all.

I am one of the more active geocachers in the Pittsburgh area recently, and would be glad to either help you with the article or point you towards some of the other users closer to the Mon Valley who have been at this for longer than I have. Feel free to e-mail me through the site. Good luck with your article.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Daddy, are we there yet? No, .17 to go. Are we there yet? No, .16 to go....."

[This message was edited by The Leprechauns on August 06, 2002 at 11:07 AM.]

I bought my GPS prior to the days of Geocaching.com. I got a 'little Yellow' when they first came out to use for off-trail hiking. It was neat to create a route of waypoints then follow it back with the navigation screen.

When I discovered geocaching.com through a search engine, it was a natural transition to hunting geocaches. I found my first cache while camping at a State Park. I brought along the printed cache page that weekend. I loaded the coordinates, jumped from the lawnchair and started off for the woods. About a half hour later, I was rooting through a plastic box full of stuff that I found hidden in an old rotted tree trunk. I came up with a nice little cookbook that I could use for menu planning for weekend camping trips. Shortly after, I hid my own cache for others to find.

I always plan to find a cache when I travel. This has lead to some interesting experiences.

icon_biggrin.gif

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

I bought my GPS prior to the days of Geocaching.com. I got a 'little Yellow' when they first came out to use for off-trail hiking. It was neat to create a route of waypoints then follow it back with the navigation screen.

When I discovered geocaching.com through a search engine, it was a natural transition to hunting geocaches. I found my first cache while camping at a State Park. I brought along the printed cache page that weekend. I loaded the coordinates, jumped from the lawnchair and started off for the woods. About a half hour later, I was rooting through a plastic box full of stuff that I found hidden in an old rotted tree trunk. I came up with a nice little cookbook that I could use for menu planning for weekend camping trips. Shortly after, I hid my own cache for others to find.

I always plan to find a cache when I travel. This has lead to some interesting experiences.

icon_biggrin.gif

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

I received a Maggie back in 1996. I used it for hiking and fishing. My Dad thought it was the most amazing thing and he bought one, and then soon after my sister. Wouldn't it know it, we started saying, meet me at N. ?? ?? ?? and W. ?? ?? ??, or "Hey, check out this spot here." My brother even built a sync box that received Loran that he could combine with the GPS to get with in 5-10ft. In guess we've been hunting Virtuals for 8 years, I don't know why we never decided to hide a box in the woods. Go figure.

My parents use GPS regularly since they do volunteer search and rescue. They found out about Geocaching, then my father let me know. He had given me their old Garmin 12, and it had sat around, a mere curiousity.

Wow, that was April. My sons & I visit these caches together, most of the time with one of our dogs. It gets us out of the house, and into the woods as well as being good exercise. We now have almost 40 more finds than my parents (SARdogs.) It's been great!

Starlight

If there's a wrong way to get to where we're going, chances are we can find it.