Printing maps with walking trails

Hi there!

All the caches that we complete, we are always with our 6 and 8 year old. Often times we also have a gaggle of other littles with us when we search.

I LOVE the map that shows when I open a particular cache to view the specs. (It's the second one down on the right hand side). I can zoom into 100m/500ft, which then allows me to see the trails and how they loop. This amount of zoom shows even the smaller pathways we may hike on.

I would love to be able to print a larger area than just shown in the smaller box. When I click the map, it reverts to the standard geocaching map withOUT trail lines shown.

For instance, this weekend we plan to find MANY caches located on the trails with this one (https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC5TDA8_ice-bucket-challenge). Want to plan the walking route accordingly and have the map on hand for the kids to navigate with. Trying to cut out any backtracking.

Is there a way to print a map with this view? Including any and all walking trails? I know the GPS does this as we walk, but would also like a print version for cache adventures such as those mentioned above.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by capecodmartins
When I click the map, it reverts to the standard geocaching map withOUT trail lines shown.

I assume when you say "standard geocaching map" you mean this one. If that's the one, you can change it to show the same maps as the one on the cache page.

On the left side, make sure the sidebar is open. Click the little > arrow in the green bar if needed. Then, down at the bottom, click the big green box that says "Set Map Preferences." A window will pop up where you can choose between Google and Leaflet maps. Select Google. Now the map should show the same trail lines when you zoom in far enough.

Not quite. Google is losing the race against OpenStreetMap (OSM) when it comes to trails. Because, of the 2+ million people registered as OSM editors, many are uploading their GPS track logs after hiking those trails.

The two maps on the cache page are MapQuest OSM. That is, MapQuest's rendering of the standard OSM data. To see that in the large map:

Set Map Preferences

Select Leaflet. Not Google.

Select MapQuest OSM from the Layers thingie in the top right corner.

Or try any of the other OSM flavors in the top half of that list. I particularly like Thunderforest OpenCycleMap and Thunderforest Landscape. Same trails, rendered differently. Take your pick.

Edited by Viajero Perdido