How do I find multi cahses

thephridge

So we found the first of one of the multi easily enough. We had watched the short video that showed entering the number clue into the coordinates but we didn't really understand it. In the vid, it appears that you enter the new coordinate number into one or the other of the existing coordinates for the first cashe.But don't you need to satisfy both of the coordinate numbers? We really got lost at that step and we couldn't find the video again. Is there a good video that will explain the actual steps of using the coordinates to find multies?

Thanks,

Phridge

So we found the first of one of the multi easily enough. We had watched the short video that showed entering the number clue into the coordinates but we didn't really understand it. In the vid, it appears that you enter the new coordinate number into one or the other of the existing coordinates for the first cashe.But don't you need to satisfy both of the coordinate numbers? We really got lost at that step and we couldn't find the video again. Is there a good video that will explain the actual steps of using the coordinates to find multies?

Thanks,

Phridge

Yes, you need to enter both coordinates. (N xx° xx.xxx W xxx° xx.xxx)

What device are you using? Make, model of gps...or are you using a phone with an app? Which phone? Which app?

What's the gc code of the multicache you are asking about?

B.

Hi B.,

Android LG G3 smart phone with the "Geocaching" app. from Groundspeak. (geocaching.com).

The code is GC61RPQ.

When we selected the icon for this cache, we found it was a multi cache...our first... the video that automatically came up showed a user entering coordinates he had found into empty spaces in the coordinates already there or replacing parts of them with the number clues he found but only one each time and not both coordinates. When we found the first one the clue was 1234. We tried replacing the last four numbers of the coordinates for that clue but it got us nowhere.

The video was not very long or informative. And we just couldn't find it again. I've looked the site over but haven't found any info on this. Just videos that show people generally looking for multies.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best,

Phridge

Edited by Keystone
changed clue to random four digit number to avoid spoiling multicache

To be honest, I'm not sure what you're expected to do with the numbers you got. I've found a number of multi-caches, and they've been pretty clear what I needed to do to get the location of the next stage. This cache description doesn't say anything about what to do with a four-digit number.

Maybe the four-digit number isn't the coordinates for the final at all. Maybe the four-digit number is part of some bonus cache ("Complete the series and collect the clues") that you can find after you find this multi-cache, and a number of other caches.

When we selected the icon for this cache, we found it was a multi cache...our first... the video that automatically came up showed a user entering coordinates he had found into empty spaces in the coordinates already there or replacing parts of them with the number clues he found but only one each time and not both coordinates. When we found the first one the clue was 1234. We tried replacing the last four numbers of the coordinates for that clue but it got us nowhere.

The video was not very long or informative. And we just couldn't find it again. I've looked the site over but haven't found any info on this. Just videos that show people generally looking for multies.

There is no Groundspeak standard way to present clues for cache stages. It may be a puzzle and very obscure on purpose, or it may be very obvious to the Cache Owner yet confusing to cachers. It depends entirely on how the Cache Owner set it up.

As Pup Patrol mentioned, you typically must find info somehow that allows you to complete missing digits in the coords, N xx° xx.xxx W xxx° xx.xxx. That's what a generalized video would show, that you must find new coords for the next stage, perhaps filling in missing digits. It's common to be required to guess, but when I make such a cache, I explain as clearly as I can, what digit goes where. This is especially important at a low-difficulty rated cache where the puzzles are to be solved in the field, as with the cache you are hunting.

Due to the variety, you must ask the Cache Owner of any given cache. We can't solve your cache puzzle here in the forum, because that would be unfair to the Cache Owner. But if you have trouble figuring out, other people do, too. So ask the Cache Owner. This can cause the Cache Owner to add some tips to the page itself, which helps us all.

Because the cache is the kind where any info is at a stage, you may opt to ask someone to show you how it all comes together with your phone and App. If you can find a "Geocaching 101" Event, that's ideal. Otherwise, go to a nearby Event where someone may help. Here are some that might do:

http://coord.info/GC6DACH

http://coord.info/GC6CWHC

http://coord.info/GC6DH15

http://coord.info/GC6B5T2

http://coord.info/GC6BBKX

Edited by kunarion

Thanks. I'll contact the owner of the cashe. I assumed that there was a standard way to proceed with this type but from what your telling me there isn't. FYI...I wasn't asking anyone to solve it just looking for some guidance on how to process the info.

Thank you all for the help. Happy hunting!

Phridge

Thanks. I'll contact the owner of the cashe.

I assumed that there was a standard way to proceed with this type but from what your telling me there isn't.

FYI...I wasn't asking anyone to solve it just looking for some guidance on how to process the info.

Thank you all for the help. Happy hunting!

Phridge

No,there is no standard way for a multi cache.

Sometimes you get new coordinates,

sometimes you get part of the coordinates for the final,

sometimes you need to add or subtract the numbers given from the coordinates you already have...

Maybe the four-digit number isn't the coordinates for the final at all.

That's what I'm thinking. It's rated as a D1.5, and it doesn't seem like the previous finders had any issues figuring out what to do, so I think there may have been more information at the first stage. Maybe the coordinates were on the backside of the thing with the four-digit number, or maybe it was a folded piece of paper and the rest of the coordinates were hidden?