Good caches near Baltimore?

travisl

I'll be in Baltimore for a conference in May (for about a week, Saturday through Thursday), and want to hit as many good caches in the area as I can. Are there any caches that I should make a special effort not to miss? Any I should particularly avoid?

Or, as an alternative, if I was going for quantity over quality, how should I plan my evenings (though Saturday I plan on catching a game at Camden Yards)?

Secondly, how much should I worry about ticks? I've read just about everything that's been in the general forum about them, but being from Tacoma I've never had to worry. How likely is it that I'll become host to one of the buggers if I go caching in the parks around Baltimore every night for a week?

And finally, anybody got a travel bug they want to have head out to the west coast?

quote:
Originally posted by travisl:

Secondly, how much should I worry about ticks?

Definitely check yourself when you get back each time, but I don't think you need to be too, too worried about it. Check as much of your skin as you can see.

I'm out in the woods a lot, but I've only ever had one tick on me - and that was a dog tick - so no lyme disease there.

-----

dartfrogsmall.jpg

Hi Travis,

I live in the D.C. area and don't get up to Baltimore that often, but one cache I particularly enjoyed up that way was Daniels. It's a toughie and you may not want to do it alone.

Also, try searching for caches hidden by Outsid4evr and Majellin, I haven't found many of their caches but the ones I did find were good ones and they are quite active cache hiders in the area.

You may also want to check out the Cascade Falls cache in Patapsco State Park and then click the link to search for nearby caches... I think there are 5 or 6 caches located within this one park. ($2.00 entrance fee)

If you have the time you might also consider a day trip to Washington D.C.... no trip to the area is complete without a stop in our Nation's Capitol and there are over 20 caches (all but one are virtuals) within a ten square mile radius!

Have a safe trip and be sure to stop back by and let us know how you did!

Regards,

Tedoca

mdgps11.gif

Thanks for the tips, guys. I just got back from Baltimore, and went 10-for-14 on my cache hunts. Daniels was the first cache I looked for, and did so alone, so didn't expect to get it. If I were young and foolish, I'd have probably tried it; but I'm older and wiser (yet still foolish), so I reasonably figured it'd be a bad idea to go for this cache without proper equipment when no one else on the planet had any idea where I was, and wouldn't miss me for a week.

It's a cool place for a cache, though, and if I had the time, I'd definitely go back better prepared for it.

The neatest cache I *did* find wasn't great because of the cache itself, but was great because of the park it was in. Above the Rest is really, really cool, and I'd advise anyone who hasn't hunted for it to put it on their short list.

One other thing that was a bit odd... of the 10 caches I found, all 10 were in tupperware type containers, and none were in ammo boxes.

What a great sport to get me away from the regular touristy locations, out of the hotel, and

into the ''real'' world.

And for all my tick worries, I think I spotted one, crawling on my jacket, which i just flicked off into the swamp at Klauses Christmas Cache.

Thanks, everybody!

"If a boy has enough intelligence, he ought to go into the ministry, except that if when he enters college he is given to carousing, drinking, and wenching, then in that case he should enter the law." - Harvard Student Review, 1796