eTrek 20 - Help, complete newbie

SpudUk

Hey Folks,

So, I've decided to get into geocaching. I've just bought a Garmin etrex 20 and I'm sitting here, having just taken it out the box, having a complete meltdown.

How do I get caches onto my etrex? I connect it via USB, click "Send to GPS" but nothing happens!? Am I going to have to become a premium member?

Do I need to download some third party maps which are better then the standard Garmin ones it comes with?

Anything else I need to know? I'm keen to get out there caching but I'm slightly intimidated by it all!

Thanks

Chris

Hi Spud.

The "send to GPS" button will only work if you have already installed the plugin for your browser. The browser should open a popup window when you click send to GPS that shows you if you have the plugin installed and if not where you can get it. If you aren't seeing this popup window then check any security software that might be blocking pop ups and allow them from geocaching,com

Once you have the plugin installed it should be simple to send to GPS any individual cache. As a premium member you can create lists of caches as pocket queries and send groups of caches to the GPS.

To get better mapping is easy go to the Garmin website and get hold of their free app called BaseCamp. It has lots of options from basic maps to the highly detailed UK OS maps and even satellite imagery you can download to your GPS. Some of these options require a purchase of the map. However BaseCamp allows you to do lots of things with your GPS device and is great for deleting old stuff off the device too.

You will need to create a free login at the Garmin.com website to get access to any of the mapping. I hope this helps.

...it appears that the plugin no longer works in Chrome and Firefox...

For Chrome it's really over, but it still works in Firefox. To make it work, you'll have to install the signed version of the plug-in from the add-on store (Ctrl+Shift+A).

For IE, you have to add www.geocaching.com to your trusted sites.

We're having the same problem. Got a new Trek 30 yesterday (couldn't pass up the deal), Tried Firefox and said no longer supported also. Tried IE and kept getting error messages. Considering our computer and lap top are over 10 years old...may be time to up grade since I didn't see a port to hook the cable up to on wife's tablet. Will try again later though.

Side note...we went to Bass Pro yesterday to look at different types of gps devices, and walked out with a new pair of "hooker" boots for my wife...Her Majesty The Queen, instead, because "<squeal> these are soooo cute...I just have to get them". When will I ever learn. :P

Edited by Team Abarth

...it appears that the plugin no longer works in Chrome and Firefox...

For Chrome it's really over, but it still works in Firefox. To make it work, you'll have to install the signed version of the plug-in from the add-on store (Ctrl+Shift+A).

For IE, you have to add www.geocaching.com to your trusted sites.

I got it to work <finally> using this method for Firefox. I also downloaded "Basecamp" to both computers. I can transfer geocaches to my gps through Firefox now, but haven't tried through Chrome yet. Thanks for the help. Now it's time to play with the new "toys", and wait to see what we learn from the class next weekend.