Hi, I looked at several geocaches and they seem to be using format

Degree decimal degrees.

Is that correct?

I was looking at geocaches GC1FO and GC3MAV2

Or are they

Degrees Minutes Decimal Minutes

Or

Degrees Minutes Seconds

Thanks for anything you can help me with in getting everything figured out.

Degree decimal degrees.

Is that correct?

Or are they

Or

Degrees Minutes Seconds

When you say "looked at", do you mean on the Groundspeak Cache Page, or a device you have loaded caches on to? You were correctly informed that all Cache Pages are published in the Degree, Minute, Decimal Minute Format. But your device can be set to a different Format if you desire. Just realizing there can be differences is a big step for many.

Degree decimal degrees.

Is that correct?

Or are they

Or

Degrees Minutes Seconds

When you say "looked at", do you mean on the Groundspeak Cache Page, or a device you have loaded caches on to? You were correctly informed that all Cache Pages are published in the Degree, Minute, Decimal Minute Format. But your device can be set to a different Format if you desire. Just realizing there can be differences is a big step for many.

Yea, I saw where I can change the coordinates on my GPS for DD.MM'SS.S or DD.dddd or DD.MM.mmm'.

That's what prompted me to ask which format was correct.

But thank you for telling me that the divices formats can be changed and it makes a big difference anyway though.

And yea Percivals Island is a really nice place to geocache, walk, or just sit and relax.

Thanks Everyone for all of you all help.

Roger

Yea, I saw where I can change the coordinates on my GPS for DD.MM'SS.S or DD.dddd or DD.MM.mmm'.

But thank you for telling me that the divices formats can be changed and it makes a big difference anyway though.

And yea Percivals Island is a really nice place to geocache, walk, or just sit and relax.

Roger

About those "differences". It would be a problem if you try to shoehorn DDMM.mmm cordinates MANUALLY into a device set for DD.ddddd or DDMMSS.s

But later switching of a device (with already CORRECTLY entered coordinates) to a different Format is not a problem at all. Unless you try to verbally pass on that differently Formatted data in the field to a recipient that doesn't realize their device does not currently match yours. Then you would have a mismatch and a position error.

All devices save the coordinates the same way. It it just the way that those devices DISPLAY the information to us that makes them change how they look as we change Formats on the device.

After you find your next cache, walk away and change your device Format setting. Then have your device navigate you back to the different LOOKING coordinates. You will be taken RIGHT BACK TO THE CACHE.

Always make sure that your data Format matches your device format when presenting coordinates to it. Does any of that help?

Roger

About those "differences". It would be a problem if you try to shoehorn DDMM.mmm cordinates MANUALLY into a device set for DD.ddddd or DDMMSS.s

But later switching of a device (with already CORRECTLY entered coordinates) to a different Format is not a problem at all. Unless you try to verbally pass on that differently Formatted data in the field to a recipient that doesn't realize their device does not currently match yours. Then you would have a mismatch and a position error.

All devices save the coordinates the same way. It it just the way that those devices DISPLAY the information to us that makes them change how they look as we change Formats on the device.

After you find your next cache, walk away and change your device Format setting. Then have your device navigate you back to the different LOOKING coordinates. You will be taken RIGHT BACK TO THE CACHE.

Always make sure that your data Format matches your device format when presenting coordinates to it. Does any of that help?