Must have a tag, right?

Boomhawr

Travel Bugs are the tags, correct? If there is a toy or something (other than geacoins, etc.) that doesn't have a tag, then it's just "swag", isn't it? I'm asking, because I was looking at the log page for a cache I visited a few days ago, and it list 3 travel bugs, but all I saw in the cache was some toys and such, but no TB tag on any of them. I tried looking at the pages for the TB's themselves, but only 1 had a picture (and that 1 showed the tag in it), but the others had no picture. So does that mean the TBs aren't in there. or do I need to look for something else?

Travel Bugs are the tags, correct? If there is a toy or something (other than geacoins, etc.) that doesn't have a tag, then it's just "swag", isn't it? I'm asking, because I was looking at the log page for a cache I visited a few days ago, and it list 3 travel bugs, but all I saw in the cache was some toys and such, but no TB tag on any of them. I tried looking at the pages for the TB's themselves, but only 1 had a picture (and that 1 showed the tag in it), but the others had no picture. So does that mean the TBs aren't in there. or do I need to look for something else?

Actually, Travel Bugs are the Tracking Numbers. Usually the numbers are found on the tags, but they might be on another type of tag such as a "homemade" laminated tag, or might be written or engraved on the toy or object itself. If there is a picture on the page that would be very helpful--or maybe the description would give some information as to what to look for.

I have released 35 travel bugs over 7 years, and only 6 of these have moved in the past year. The mortality rate on TBs is very high. It is too bad that TB owners and Cache owners do not mark the TBs as missing after a period of time, then they would not show up in the cache inventory. If I was looking to pick up a TB, I suggest you visit the site online first to see how long the TB has been there. If it is more than a week or two, it is likely missing. I find the TBs do not sit in caches long, and are more apt to sit in someones possession. I hope you have better luck in the future.

Thanks. I went back today and looked. Just some business cards, a battery, and couple other things, but nothing as a TB.

You could mention that the trackable(s) are missing in your "found it" log. Be sure to specify which trackable it is you're talking about, or at least say something like "no trackables were seen in this cache".

You can also post a note on the trackable's page, saying that it isn't in the cache.

The trackable owner and the cache owner both can mark trackables as "missing". Doing that will remove the trackable from the cache's inventory.

B.

Alright, thanks. Along with a note, I also PMed the CO and the TB owner. 1 CO replied and fixed it, but on the other 1, I never heard back. Thanks again for all the help.

If you are specifically looking for TB's then it is worth looking at the date the TB was dropped into the cache inventory ... some have been missing in action for many months, or even years. Either the cache owners or TB owners are reluctant to mark them as missing ... As a newbie I found this ruddy annoying, but to be honest I now like to see which caches have been "muggled" in the past, I make sure I don't leave TB's there.