Ethics question. Ok to send tb by mail?

Team Rascal

Just curious, is it legitimate to send a tb somewhere by mail or does a fellow geocacher physically have to transport it there?

It's generally a bad idea to mail a trackable. Do you really want to trust the various postal services to not lose something that belongs to someone else?

Help Center → Trackables → Moving Trackables

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=334

3.7. Mailing Trackables to Another Geocacher

There may be occasions when you want to mail a Trackable to a geocacher in another location.

Please do not mail any trackable without asking the owner first.

Mail services to some places are erratic and/or unreliable.

Typically, Trackables should travel from geocache to geocache, or directly from the hands of one geocacher to another.

If you have received a Trackable in the mail, you will want to post a "grab it" logtype rather than "retrieve it" logtype, since you're not retrieving it directly from a geocache. The mileage traveled will show the next time you drop it in a geocache.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=336077

B.

is it legitimate to send a tb somewhere by mail

Is it your TB? If so, are you mailing it to a Geocacher? And if that's also true, the person receiving it would do a “Grab” log, then the log to place it would be simple, to drop in into a cache (if that's what is to happen). Decent logs are important, so finders aren't confused when it turns up in another country.

As mentioned, it's not advised to mail them around. But if it's your own TB, and you have a plan, that's fine. I sent one of my coins through a "Stargate" cache, and have no idea if it was mailed or carried, or sent through a real Stargate or anything. But it's the only Trackable I ever got back into my hands (it returned from Germany to the same Stargate). I guess what I'm saying is, ya never know.

Edited by kunarion