Missing Trackables

punk_chickie

I'm concerned with people spending money on trackables and placing them just for someone to take it and not place it in another cache. That's not how this game works and I think if you don't have a premium membership than you shouldn't be given coordinates to any cache site. Trackables aren't collectibles for someone to just take once placed. I've gone to every trackable site in Belleville and they aren't at any of the listed locations. It's getting ridiculous! Have some respect for the people who play this game properly!

That's also a good idea. I just think if we are spending money on geocoins and trackables and people end up stealing them then a lot of members aren't going to continue playing. Which sucks because it's so much fun.

Maybe new members should not be allowed to see which caches have TBs in, as it seems a lot of 'New' cachers will find a TB in the first few caches they find,and then quit the game without ever placing the TB back in a cache...?

Interesting. Aren't you implying that the reason the trackables go missing is malicious? Could it be for another reason?

For instance, we had a trackable that was placed in a cache, but the person was new and just made a mistake in logging it. It wasn't really a problem, thankfully they contacted us and we tweaked the log. We later met them at an event. Incredibly nice people and clearly didn't mean to "loose" that trackable. Another had a several month delay while the person who picked it up accidentally left it in their car while they were on vacation.

What if it was a family with a child who was sick and dying, just for arguments, maybe the little girl who is dying from cancer. Maybe she's about 8 and she agreed to go on a trip with her family, even though she will be completely exhausted and rather uncomfortable, and they came across your trackable. The poor girl's health fails in the days that follow and they never return to caching, but they keep your trackable as a way to remember their daughter and their last outing with her. I can't speak for anyone else, but I would be fine if they kept it and I would totally understand. For a couple of coffee runs, I'd be honored for them to keep my trackable.

Some will vanish, we may not know why and who knows, we may never find out. There will always be issues and problems and real life to get in the way, but we aren't required to put out trackables for this game. Limiting it to premium membership sounds a little elitist, what about a church group that wants to explore the game but doesn't have the money for a premium membership. If you want to buy a trackable and release it, there is a chance they will go far and they will have some interesting pictures and stories (for instance, http://coord.info/TB75Z9D is one of ours that very recently went to Belgium and has some very cool pics).

Yes, some trackables go missing without explanation or detail. That's the nature of releasing 'anything' into the wild. We release trackables with the hope that they will travel and survive ... some do ... some not ... some re-surface months and even years later.

My geo-partner has released about 150 trackables into the wild, mostly travel tags or proxy coins. There are a few geocoins she released that are still traveling, some that were released over 3 years ago. Sure, some have disappeared. A few we can 'assume' were kidnapped, never to see a cache again. When we do see a trackable re-appear after being in limbo for months or years, it revives our thrill of the release.

We do have stats from ours that indicate the loss ratio in the USA is much higher than in most of the Euro areas. Draw your own conclusions ... we have ours ... :)

Posting in this Forum is also a bit like preaching to the choir. We here already know and understand the situation. It's the clueless folks who do NOT visit forums like this and join in the conversations who you need to get your message to.

Meanwhile, we will continue to release trackables into the wild and hope for the best.