Letter to The Maryland Department of Natural Resources

Guest mdgps.net

Guest mdgps.net

The following is a letter sent to the Department of Natural Resources regarding some concerns over geocaching within the state park system. Hopefully we can see some resolve to this issue without our sport being banned from park service properties. You are encouraged to send a letter in your own words the the department in support of the game.

Take care,

Randy Berry,

Organization: Maryland Geocaching Society ( www.mdgps.net )

To: Maryland Department of Natural Resources < customerservice@dnr.state.md.us>

Subject: Geocaching

Hello,

It was recently brought to my attention by a few members of the Geocaching community that there may be a problem with "Geocaching" in Maryland State Park System.

If you are unaware of this game please allow me to explain what "Geocaching" is. Geocaching (Geo-cashing) is a game or "sport" that is sweeping the globe. Derived from GEO for geography, and CACHING, a term used to define a hiding place for concealing and preserving provisions. In this case, the cache contains gifts and small trinkets which the participants trade for, a log book to record their visit and share their comments with other visitors. Although these items are usually of little or no monetary value the satisfaction, or real treasure of the game is the accomplishment and the outdoor activity. The exact coordinates and descriptions for these caches are published on a website (www.geocaching.com) where you can retrieve the information on where the cache is hidden. Using a GPS Receiver you can search out the hidden treasure. Once found you can trade something out of the cache and sign your name (usually your Geocaching username) in the logbook. You also visit the website and log your visit there reporting what you took, and what you left, as well as your comments about the journey so that other Geocacher's can see your comments on the website as well. These "Caches" are hidden all over the world in more than 100 countries. There are literally hundreds of thousands of these caches hidden in the US alone. We invite you to investigate Geocaching by visiting www.geocaching.com The Official Home of Geocaching, and participate if you so choose.

Geocaching is an environmentally friendly game. The contents of a cache are sealed in a Tupperware type container, some caches are concealed in Ammo boxes. They are hidden under a pile of leaves or twigs, under a fallen tree, or in a rock crevice, out of sight from those who are not interested in the game also as a precaution to protect curious animals. It is a rule that the Geocacher's respect nature and leave the area as they found it. It is also a rule that we "Cache in, Trash out" which essentially means as we hike in search of the treasure we pick up any trash we can on the way to be disposed of properly.

If there is a problem with this the Geocacher's are willing to work with the DNR in order to resolve it. We are willing to cooperate in any way we can in order to continue using the State Park System as an outlet for this game. Several members of the Geocaching community including myself, are willing to meet with the DNR and discuss any rules that the DNR may have in order to prevent the barring of the sport from these properties. For a start we are willing to register the hidden caches with the park office with explicit details of their whereabouts so that the Park Police can occasionally check up on these hidden treasures.

Please if there are any problems with this activity I ask you to contact me or any of the persons listed below. As a community we are willing to abide by any rules the DNR may set forth to prevent the banning of Geocaching in one of the greatest resources in the state. I can be reached via email or by phone. If this is not the appropriate address to send this letter could you please forward it to the correct office or personal. We look forward to working with the department and continuing the use of this land with the full respect of nature.

Thank you,

Randall J. Berry

Founder: Maryland Geocaching Society

Cell: (301) 442-2619

Home: (301) 627-4574

Email: davros@mdgps.net

------------------

Guest mdgps.net

Park Service Office. Apparently there were a few caches placed in AMMO Boxes along the park trails. Some unsuspecting hikers spotted them and panicked, they contacted the Park Police, Park Police had no idea what they were so it became a federal issue. This is most likely due to the heightened security measures of today's times everyone is on edge about mysterious packages. Can you blame them?

In response to this matter a request was made that you follow a few simple steps when placing a cache in a park. If these steps are followed I don't see there being any problem with the park service allowing us to use the properties for this sport.

Check with the Park Office (address provided below), BEFORE you place the cache and Inform them exactly what you are doing and why.

(I will investigate the possibility of sending a request online)

State Forest and Parks

ATTN: Rusty Ruszin

Tawes State Office Building E-3

580 Taylor Avenue

Annapolis, Maryland 21401

Show them the cache (if possible include a photo) and provide them with exact details of the location you plan to hide it. Should there be another event like this again, the Park Service should at least know what it is and why it is there. If they need to have a look at it then at least they won't think to call in the ATF and the FBI first!

DO NOT use Ammo Cans, or any other Military looking packaging that may look threatening to a person who happens upon the cache without knowing what it is, or why it is there. Use a Tupperware type container or something else that does not look threatening. If possible a transparent container of some sort is better.

Clearly mark the container as to what it is. Include a visible email address where you can be reached. If possible shrink the stash note before printing it to fit on a small card without hiding any details. So that it can be taped on the cover or elsewhere clearly visible on the cache to the unsuspecting person.

These recommendations involve the MARYLAND Park Service. I was not aware until just now that this also involves the NATIONAL Park Service as well. Allow me a few day's to see if I can resolve these problems with them as well. I am sure they may agree to the same conditions. The same goes for the MNCPPC, I will contact them promptly. I also have a friend and fellow Ham Radio Operator who is on the MNCPPC Police Force (Whom I like to get hooked on Geocaching!) If possible I will ask him for his advice.

Enclosed is an email sent to me by Charlie Mazurek, of the Maryland Park Service, with the recommended steps in his words. Be sure to give him a round of applause for his research work today in support of the game we all love.

Take care,

Randy

davros@mdgps.net

---

Randy:

For individuals that want to place Geo-Caching materials on State Forest

and Parks lands, they would need to get prior approval before placing these

in the parks. Like we talked about today, the type of box is important, as

not to alarm other park visitors; as well as the location of the box. The

contact person in State Forest and Parks is Rusty Ruszin. Written proposals

can be sent to him at Tawes State Office Building E-3, 580 Taylor Avenue,

Annapolis, Maryland 21401.

Thanks.

Charlie Mazurek

A reply from the Montgomery Co. M-NCPPC looks like they have no problems with Geocaching.. As long as the rules are followed for the park..

Reply Included:

Dear Mr. Berry: Our Park Police see no real problem in conducting Geocaching within our park system in Montgomery County. We ask that you notify the Community Services Office (mcp-parks) of the locations, any web addresses that are posted for advertising and that participants be encouraged to obey our park rules and regulations (found on our website at http://www.mc-mncppc.org[/url).

Good luck with your activity.

Carolyn D. Wainwright

Comunity Services Supervisor

mcp-parks

M-NCPPC

-----Original Message-----

Sent: March25,2002 11:08 AM

To: Wainwright, Carolyn

Subject: RE: Geocaching

Carolyn,

See comments from Jake. I concur.

Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2002 3:57 PM

To: Sheldon, Laura

Subject: FW: Geocaching

Laura, I don't see any real concerns with this activity so long as there are no violations of the park rules and regulations and it does not interfere with any other permissible park activity.

Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 5:44 PM

To: 'Randall J. Berry'

Cc: Bise, Jake; Sheldon, Laura

Subject: RE: Geocaching

Dear Randall: Thanks for your inquiry about geocaching. This phenomenon is not new to Montgomery County's parks because the promoters of the Planet of the Apes used this technique to create awareness of the film.

I have forward your message to Lt. Jake Bise and Laura Sheldon of our Park Police and I'm asking for their input on a decision to continmue this activity by your group.

Carolyn D. Wainwright

Comunity Services Supervisor

M-NCPPC

301-495-2572

Randall J. Berry

davros@mdgps.net

[url " TARGET=_blank>http://www.mdgps.net]mdgps11.gif [/url]